Octane additives?

-
If I'm not mistaken I believe you're aluminum heads are going to help quite a bit in this situation?

I've never seen aluminum heads make a difference in compression ratio, as in if I can run 11:1 on aluminum I can run the same on iron.

Has anyone tried this Race Gas additive? I just bought a bottle to try out on my wanting to ping 340.
View attachment 1715166124

P.S. good thread here thanks
That is the stuff that turns everything orange. Still have half a bottle. Not my cup of tea. A lot of the high end octane boosters seem to do it. Common ingredient? I have been using the 104+, basically a glorified fuel system cleaner but has been working for me. Buying it by the case.

This is in reply to yellow rose:
No they do not change the compression ratio, but the aluminum heads make the motor less prone to detonation/pinging.

I've never seen aluminum heads make a difference in compression ratio, as in if I can run 11:1 on aluminum I can run the same on iron.
I think my point was not changing the compression but aluminum dissipating heat more evenly and like just said not as prone to detonation?

Okay consensus time LOL does this look dangerous?
IMG_20180417_182357.jpg

2 gallons in a 5 gallon can of race fuel so I can make a concoction on the road?

And just so you guys don't think I'm completely nuts I bought a brand new fire extinguisher and threw it in the front floorboard...
IMG_20180417_182521.jpg

This is in reply to yellow rose:
No they do not change the compression ratio, but the aluminum heads make the motor less prone to detonation/pinging.

I've never found that to be true. Cylinder head material has little to do with detonation. I've never built an iron headed engine with less compression or an aluminum headed engine with more compression just because of head material.

I look at the overall package, settle on an RPM range and rough cam timing numbers and then pick a compression ratio.

When the heads come off my current engine I'm going to go up almost half a point to 11.5:1 on iron heads. I'm just a touch over 11 now and I can use more.

It will still be pump gas. Everybody whacks their pud over octane. Octane isn't the do all, be all, end all.

Pump gas will always be down on power to a comparable race fuel. Race fuel doesn't have all the crap in it pump gas does.

My 434 is 11.2-1, solid roller, ported Indy heads and intake, it was built for pump 93. The engine was broke in and tuned on the dyno with Renegade Crate 98 leaded gas. After the tuning was done and several pulls made we drained the fuel cell and the carb. Then refilled the cell with pump 93 that I buy from a little country store just down the road from me.

With no other changes than the gas it made 30 more hp and the torque was up too. I thought it was a fluke so we cooled it off and made another pull and got within a couple tenths of the same numbers.

My 434 is 11.2-1, solid roller, ported Indy heads and intake, it was built for pump 93. The engine was broke in and tuned on the dyno with Renegade Crate 98 leaded gas. After the tuning was done and several pulls made we drained the fuel cell and the carb. Then refilled the cell with pump 93 that I buy from a little country store just down the road from me.

With no other changes than the gas it made 30 more hp and the torque was up too. I thought it was a fluke so we cooled it off and made another pull and got within a couple tenths of the same numbers.

I'm not familiar with that fuel you used, but I suspect it was more octane than you needed and probably had a slower burn rate than pump gas.

Like I said, there is more to it than octane. Testing fuel is almost as expensive as testing oils.

Well at my 3 to 1 mixture I was getting a diesel when I shut it off at my buddies place! That certainly didn't make me happy. I drove it to the next gas station and got 2 gallons and put the other two gallons of race gas in it and it seems to shut off a little better now.

-
Back