octane

-

slowdown

Reaction score
Live in Colorado and most gas stations the highest octane is 91. My car gets somewhere around 8 miles to the gallon on the highway and 6.5 or 7 around town. I happen to be in Berthoud co messing around and found a gas station that has 93 so I filled her up. Believe it or not I could tell the difference between 91 and 93. Now I am in search for a closer station with 93 but no luck. There is a station in Greeley co that sells 100, I was thinking about cruising over there for fun and filling up just to try it out. I know by the time I got back to Loveland I would need to fill up again. But to try it out just for kicks is there any harm in 100 octane?

Too much is as bad as not enough, I dont no what your combo is but its terrible. Is this a drag strip car or what? My car averaged about 10.5 mpg I bought a mancinni distributor and with the same curve it now gets 14 just dumb luck but I will keep it.

Too much is as bad as not enough, I dont no what your combo is but its terrible. Is this a drag strip car or what? My car averaged about 10.5 mpg I bought a mancinni distributor and with the same curve it now gets 14 just dumb luck but I will keep it.
Yeah I know it's bad gas mileage. I had it tuned by a shop an that's what it gets. Thanks on the octane info.

Isn't yours the quick fuel that they pulled the power valve out of?

It might run better than before, but, it's far from right for a street driven car.

Octane won't help that.

It might run better than before, but, it's far from right for a street driven car.

Octane won't help that.
yeah it is the quick fuel they pulled the power valve out of. I've read with power valve out they run a little more gas without the vacuum to let the pv pull fuel at cruise and up jet primary to make up for it? Sucks gas milage wise but doesn't foul plugs anymore.
I am sure there's more tuning that could be done, and I am sure theres more power in there somewhere, but for now I am just enjoying it this summer. I took it back to them several times and after about the 4th time that's what I got. They've been around awhile and service mopar, chevy and fords. I am not sticking up for them but with all there experience I was hoping for a little more fine tuning. But it'll lay rubber till I want to take my foot off the pedal. Very fun to romp around in. I was just doing some reading on octane and happen to be in Berthoud and put some 93 in it and my car seemed to really like it. That's why I was wondering about safe octane levels to try. Thanks...

Octane won't help that.

This. Pulling that p.v. out,usually needs a 10-12 primary jet jump up. Ouch.

Live in Colorado and most gas stations the highest octane is 91. My car gets somewhere around 8 miles to the gallon on the highway and 6.5 or 7 around town. I happen to be in Berthoud co messing around and found a gas station that has 93 so I filled her up. Believe it or not I could tell the difference between 91 and 93. Now I am in search for a closer station with 93 but no luck. There is a station in Greeley co that sells 100, I was thinking about cruising over there for fun and filling up just to try it out. I know by the time I got back to Loveland I would need to fill up again. But to try it out just for kicks is there any harm in 100 octane?

The reason you don't see higher octane normally in Colorado is the altitude. The higher the altitude, the less octane you need. More than likely the difference you are feeling is all in your head, or just a change in the weather so it is running better. I lived in Colorado for most of my life and went to college at UNC in Greeley. If you need a good speed shop, talk to Scott at US Performance in Loveland...Very knowledgeable guy, super helpful, I bought a lot of parts from him years ago.

The reason you don't see higher octane normally in Colorado is the altitude. The higher the altitude, the less octane you need. More than likely the difference you are feeling is all in your head, or just a change in the weather so it is running better. I lived in Colorado for most of my life and went to college at UNC in Greeley. If you need a good speed shop, talk to Scott at US Performance in Loveland...Very knowledgeable guy, super helpful, I bought a lot of parts from him years ago.
Yeah thats where I had it. Im not complaining about gas mileage I was asking about octane. I work in a refinery people who spend money on fuel only secures my job...

-
Back