ODBII Fault retrieval tool

-

Keith Mopar

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Can any one on here recommend a ODB tool to retrieve fault codes from a 2005 Chrysler 300C My brother bough a 300 that was in a front accident and we have the car repaired, but the esp light is on and I have 2 different scanners and neither one can scan this car for esp faults.

I have a Autel MD801, which seems to be hit and miss with retrieving body codes, and a Innova 3130. The kid at the parts store says an the new Innova 3160 shows it can retrieve ABS/SRS codes and should be able to do it but thought I would ask on here first.

The Innova 3160 is about $400.00 but I'm sure I'll get the use out of it.

Thanks

if you have a smart phone get torque it uses a blue tooth reader from the car to your phone. my friend dougs big snapon reader missed codes i could pick up and torque is only 175$ only down side is it needs net sevice to retrive the codes.

I have one of those Autel MD801's. Made in China and no support at all. For the price it's not bad. It has auto recognition and retrieves DTC's for trans and engine but thats it. They say it can retrieve all faults on all modules but it's BS.
I'm also looking at a new ODB tool, so I'll watch this thread...

here is the site for torque and some of what it can do torque-bhp.com

View live OBD engine data on your Android phone - Connect to your vehicle ECU
Fully customisable dashboard screens - Design your own layouts and custom dials, use your own themes
Retrieve Fault Codes (DTCs) and clear Check Engine lights - View fault descriptions using the built-in databases
Upload live OBD2 data to your webserver or the torque web viewer in realtime
Check the performance of your vehicle with BHP / Torque / 0-60 & Quarter Mile widgets

I use Torque on my Android phone (and need to try it on my Nexus tablet - more screen!). It works well but you do need to buy a bluetooth ODB2 adapter. Additionally, it's only an ecu reader, not an ABS or ESP reader.

injunkie do you have to buy the main tool and buy all the manafachuer packages as well? That thing sure can retrieve everything! Just like a snap on modis, at about 1/10 the price.

Thanks

I had to buy the package for both of them to read it all. The one for my Duramax reads an unbelievable amount of sensors. Does data logging. I am very glad I purchased it. Can not say enough good things about there customer service. Would not hesitate to recommend them.

I have torque on my android, my adapter was 15 bucks of amazon. If you have a Iphone you have to get the more expensive adapter. Works great.

Doug about how much do you have wrapped up in this?

I just checked, I never bought the Ford package yet but I need to, the trans in the Explorer is getting goofy and I want to scan it before taking it over to a guy in CDA that I met. Any how, the scan tool was $250 and the GM enhancement was $210 when I bought it. With my truck being a diesel it is "non-obdII compliant" (?) what ever the hell that means. The inexpensive scanners will only read the generic codes, so if the check engine light comes on they will not work. Last trip to AZ I was glad I had it with me. Stopped for fuel in Oregon (can't pump it there) and the attendant did not tighten the cap. 5 minutes down the road the light came on and stayed on even after tightening the cap. Reason I bought it though was because the local dealer wanted close to $500 to diagnose the excessive smoke, they were just going to plug it in and check the injectors. Crooks......I will be buying the Ford enhancement soon, if you ever need it to read your Ranger just let me know. Now that the bike is running it would give me an excuse to come over & visit you......and funds permitting finally get the camera.....

Thanks for all the input guys.
It look like the best tool out there for retrieving ABS & SRS codes is the autoenginuity tool. Looks like this is where I'm headed.

I use Torque on my Android phone (and need to try it on my Nexus tablet - more screen!). It works well but you do need to buy a bluetooth ODB2 adapter. Additionally, it's only an ecu reader, not an ABS or ESP reader.

Yea it looks like the torque won't do ABS & SRS codes, But it looks like a good tool for the money.

-
Back