Odd Dodge

-
Thats true. I'll probably toss the whole top end in the scrap heap. the 413 short block, I'll keep. I keep thinking max wedge heads and intake for some reason. :snakeman:

Are ya tryin' for _TWO_ m.p.g.??? (but fast!)
The industrial 440 in my Grumman pulls it just fine, thanks!

Attachments

• mhRside.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 83
looks like something nascar race teams would use at the race track maybee to carry the team, i would check and see if the bottom color under all that green is petty blue, lol

Are ya tryin' for _TWO_ m.p.g.??? (but fast!)
The industrial 440 in my Grumman pulls it just fine, thanks!

I'm not going to put it in a motor home. I don't have the motor home anymore anyway. I was thinking about putting it in a (gulp! not a mopar Gulp!) 1950 studebaker champion. Strait axle gasser style. If people ask what kind of gas mileage I get, I tell them 20 gal to the Mile. lol

I'm not going to put it in a motor home. I don't have the motor home anymore anyway. I was thinking about putting it in a (gulp! not a mopar Gulp!) 1950 studebaker champion. Strait axle gasser style. If people ask what kind of gas mileage I get, I tell them 20 gal to the Mile. lol
That'd be pretty cool 8)

Isn't Studebaker considered sort of a MOPAR orphan - by way of Kaiser or some other corporate buyouts, etc in the '50's?? Well, whether or not that's true, the mopar engine will be an improvement.

ATB BC

Isn't Studebaker considered sort of a MOPAR orphan - by way of Kaiser or some other corporate buyouts, etc in the '50's?? Well, whether or not that's true, the mopar engine will be an improvement.

ATB BC

Especially a max wedge. It won't be an original maxy but close enough for me. I also have a 440 out of a 68 new yorker that would be a nice one as well. I've measured it a thousand times and I think It will barely fit if I move the fire wall back 3 inches :snakeman:

Thats true. I'll probably toss the whole top end in the scrap heap. the 413 short block, I'll keep. I keep thinking max wedge heads and intake for some reason. :snakeman:
The short block isn't much good either. Crank is an 8 bolt extented type so it won't fit your average automatic or manual trans application. Cam is all wrong too. If I remember correctly, it's a gear driven cam so it goes the other way. Makes the distributor not right either for a chain motor. The water pump housing is industrial only too.

The short block isn't much good either. Crank is an 8 bolt extented type so it won't fit your average automatic or manual trans application. Cam is all wrong too. If I remember correctly, it's a gear driven cam so it goes the other way. Makes the distributor not right either for a chain motor. The water pump housing is industrial only too.

Mine has a 6 bolt crank, its got a timing chain too. Its fine. I've heard of the ones your talking about but have yet to see one. Water pump will be changed out with the top end, but your right about it. it not only has the passages that bolt to the front of the block, but also a passage that bolts to each head. Makes the heads and water pump industrial only. Even if it did have an 8 bolt crank, doesn't some hemi's or am I wrong? the 413 block is the same casting as others so I'm sure you could switch the cam out and buy a new timing chain. Most people do that during a rebuild anyway.

Mine has a 6 bolt crank, its got a timing chain too. Its fine. I've heard of the ones your talking about but have yet to see one. Water pump will be changed out with the top end, but your right about it. it not only has the passages that bolt to the front of the block, but also a passage that bolts to each head. Makes the heads and water pump industrial only. Even if it did have an 8 bolt crank, doesn't some hemi's or am I wrong? the 413 block is the same casting as others so I'm sure you could switch the cam out and buy a new timing chain. Most people do that during a rebuild anyway.
Thats pretty nutty. You got any pics?8)

Do not forget that the 413/440 motorhome engines have the heads with the extra water jackets around the spark plugs to keep down pinging. Use to be the head to get for a big build. Just had to watch torquing the spark plugs.

Do not forget that the 413/440 motorhome engines have the heads with the extra water jackets around the spark plugs to keep down pinging. Use to be the head to get for a big build. Just had to watch torquing the spark plugs.
Do they even flow well?

I would think that you would need to port them like any head from that period and put in the larger valves. And you would need to see if you want a open chamber or closed. But back in 72-75 those were the heads to get and modify. Look in the older Mopar racing manuals of that vintage. The 66 and earlier had the smaller valves and a closed chamber. 67 and up were the best choice.

Ah, then why would people build them? I wouldn't build a head just cuz of less chance of pinging if it flowed piss poor

EDIT: Ahhhh, I see now. Nowadays though. Its just not as good of a head choice

And sweet. Never seen an industrial engine really

I would think that you would need to port them like any head from that period and put in the larger valves. And you would need to see if you want a open chamber or closed. But back in 72-75 those were the heads to get and modify. Look in the older Mopar racing manuals of that vintage. The 66 and earlier had the smaller valves and a closed chamber. 67 and up were the best choice.

These heads are special industrial units. from what I've read they have the smallest runners of any bigblock cylinder heads and small valves. Visually they look tiny but I haven't measured them. They also have the holes in the front for that really large water pump housing. I wouldn't use them for anything high proformance. It was designed for long life and dependability, thick, heavy, and slow.

-
Back