Odd question: Shift knob

-

player1up

Reaction score
After my 4-speed swap I've been looking for a shift knob that suites my personality. So I made a custom pistol grip shifter out of wood coated with epoxy and painted silver, looked really cool but one too many vigorous shift into second and it split all of the way up the side.....and went shooting into the back seat...
So here I am again trying to find something that fits me and is not over the top ( no offense to those with skull shifters but that aint me ).
Taking cues from what I'm into ( computers, games, making stuff ) and keeping with the not over the top, my options are:
1. Remake the pistol grip shifter with some obvious reinforcements. ( I made 2 from the get go expecting one to "not work out" for some reason or another :lol: )
2. Keep the stock knob but drill it out and work in some sort of LED for the shift pattern. ( I've already started this but still considering other ideas )
3. An old arcade style red round ball ( like from Pac-man or Galaga ) freaking cool in my book and it really is a joystick!

I suppose I could buy one but that isn't me either.
I'm sure you guys are thinking that I've got WAAY to much time on my hands but I'm just thinking out loud, thanks for reading anyway.

I know how difficult it can be to pick a shift ball. I've been looking for one for a couple of years now for my Hurst Autostick. It has a brown marble looking ball on it now, and I want something retro looking, but not over the top.

I did find some nice looking pin up style balls on Ebay that looked VERY nice, but my wife didn't think they were appropriate to drive the kids around to shows with.

I think the old hot rod 8-ball is unusual these days. At least I haven't seen one in a long time.

koolknobs.com - he makes custom ones with whatever you want inside as well as colors and effects

Take your time choosing. Make sure you are happy with it and the heck with anyone else. You sound like me .... I want something different than what others have. That's why I am Mopar.. not many of them around. I think you making your own shifter handle is pretty cool. When you make it there will not be another like it. I just installed a Hurst pistol grip and already looking around for wood with a wild grain to make some custom hand grips. Might not happen anytime soon but it's in my mind. Cue balls,eight balls, hand grenades, skulls,eye balls, etc.. etc.. is like once you see one you've seen a hundred. Different is better! Good luck!

I made a custom knob for the Cuda in Tech class last year. Mahogany, polished. Turned out good. Burned in some writing on it but that didn't turn out as good as I hoped. Oh well. Still looks good.

homemade shifter? My brainstorm, Fathers talent, in Avatar. too bad it did`nt work out for me. No-na na na na noooOOO bodys fault,,,,, but mine:-D Makes a good conversation piece, though8) I will eventually mount on a plack and hang on a wall:clock:

homemade shifter? My brainstorm, Fathers talent, in Avatar. too bad it did`nt work out for me. No-na na na na noooOOO bodys fault,,,,, but mine:-D Makes a good conversation piece, though8) I will eventually mount on a plack and hang on a wall:clock:

What is that anyhow? I just can't figure it out.

Fishbreath, I had an 8-ball in a car years ago but the ball is huge...not very comfortable shifting in my opinion. Still cool (like I said I had one) but if I were to do it again it'd have to be smaller than an actual billiard ball.

John, Nice (koolknobs.com) from mild to wild. I'll keep that on file. My favorite:
http://www.koolknobs.com/images/knob photos/billet_dodge.jpg

Mullinax, Mopar head's avatar looks like a custom pistol grip shifter. I made one out of pine and one out of MDF because it was easy to shape with a dremel. yeah seen one hand grenade.... now if I were to saw off a handle of...say a 357 and make THAT into a shifter...hot damn! but a waste of a good gun...and I can only imagine the look on the cops face when I get pulled over and they see that sticking up out of the console... :lol:

Now that I'm thinking really far outside of the box ( think I'm lost ) ... what about a small skateboard wheel...

Fishbreath, I had an 8-ball in a car years ago but the ball is huge...not very comfortable shifting in my opinion. Still cool (like I said I had one) but if I were to do it again it'd have to be smaller than an actual billiard ball.

John, Nice (koolknobs.com) from mild to wild. I'll keep that on file. My favorite:

Mullinax, Mopar head's avatar looks like a custom pistol grip shifter. I made one out of pine and one out of MDF because it was easy to shape with a dremel. yeah seen one hand grenade.... now if I were to saw off a handle of...say a 357 and make THAT into a shifter...hot damn! but a waste of a good gun...and I can only imagine the look on the cops face when I get pulled over and they see that sticking up out of the console... :lol:

Now that I'm thinking really far outside of the box ( think I'm lost ) ... what about a small skateboard wheel...

I see the Chrysler emblem but other than that I'm lost. I see what looks like hardwood of some type.

Skateboard wheel. Hmmmmm that would be different. :-D

I see the Chrysler emblem but other than that I'm lost. I see what looks like hardwood of some type.

Skateboard wheel. Hmmmmm that would be different. :-D
I`ll elaborate, Yes, poor mans attempt at pistol grip shifter. Cocobolo wood, hand carved, and the pentastar is from a old key:-D,cut and filed. Went ahead and bought the real deal. Will sweet talk the old man in doing new handles from burled walnut to match interior. A better prospective, with weird flash reflection,and blurr

shifter 004.jpg

i have a cue ball i got outta a huge tornado my friends family was in. everytime i see the ball it reminds me how precious life is... so i wanna cut it up lol and put a shift pattern in it maby with a roll control button on the side and get the wires to go thru the ball and chrome shifter part and be hidden all the way to under the car:) lol someday

I bought a '69 340 Swinger with a 4-speed a long time ago that had brass knuckles with sharpened screws coming out between the fingers for a shift knob. I also found the guys jar of weed from '73 or so under the torn glove box liner. Great old car, House of Kolor painted it black with electric cobalt flames and pin striping. I was a little nervous about removing the backseat however....... :sign10:

All good ideas, as far as buying one, cal customs had some kool ones, and I also so one once that was actually something, that I can't remember, inside a ball of clear plastic or resin.

I`ll elaborate, Yes, poor mans attempt at pistol grip shifter. Cocobolo wood, hand carved, and the pentastar is from a old key:-D,cut and filed. Went ahead and bought the real deal. Will sweet talk the old man in doing new handles from burled walnut to match interior. A better prospective, with weird flash reflection,and blurr

Oh OK!

Nice! I like that wood.

I bought a '69 340 Swinger with a 4-speed a long time ago that had brass knuckles with sharpened screws coming out between the fingers for a shift knob. I also found the guys jar of weed from '73 or so under the torn glove box liner. Great old car, House of Kolor painted it black with electric cobalt flames and pin striping. I was a little nervous about removing the backseat however....... :sign10:

OMG do you know what would have happened if you got pulled over. "No officer it's not mine ... really!" LOL

Sounds like Led Zepplin lyrics to me! Awesome song too.

I like Led!

When I worked at Grumman years ago, the Model Shop made the actual Top Gun awards for the F-14 pilots. They were brass casted replicas of actual F-14 joy stick grips, buttons and all. I thought at the time that they might make unique shifter handles, except they were heavy as hell. A real one would be lighter and cooler and the buttons could be made to function.

As far as getting your hands on a revolver frame... www.gunbroker.com usually has quite a few cut in half frames going. Usually these are one that had to be destroyed for either safety or legal reasons. Either way, beats the heck out of taking a hacksaw to good gun...

Now it makes sense!!!!!!!!!!That looks really good.

Mines not as nice,but cheap.BONDO!!!!!!!

SHIFT.jpg

Pharmboy, You just opened the floodgates of possibility......what about a 44 cal cylinder??? I didn't find any cut frames but I'm not sure what category they're under.

Fishbreath, The logistics behind the flightstick are daunting, but with enough buttons one could do nitrous, radio controls, overtake boost, horn, exhaust flame throwers, or a coffee maker. Ok I don't actually drink coffee but there are all sorts of cool things to control without ever taking your hand off the shifter. In my search I actually found a shifter with an iR remote for your stereo built into the top (pac racerboy sk-1 shifter) although discontinued and the name alone would prohibit the purchase.

So far I'm headed down the road of custom pistol grip of some sort with a built in led for some lighting effect, most likely for a lit shift pattern. I got my test shifter wired with a led and resistor so it can be powered from 12v, now to tackle the structural reinforcements.. I will say that with the way I built the shift rod, the pattern only has a 6 inch throw from 1st to 2nd with the ball on it.

i have to find it, i have a custom made blue metalflake ball with the demon logo...

Well, I'm using what I learned on this shifter to add a lit pattern on my home made pistol grip..looks cool IMHO.
I'll post pics of that one when it's done.

IMG00601 (Small).jpg

IMG00602 (Small).jpg

If you want to go back to the bad old days go with the keg tap for bud or some other beer. Quit common to see an idiot trying to shift one of those back in the 70's were I lived. I have an aluminum pistol grip a buddy made for my car back in 81. Car is gone but the aluminum pistol grip is still with me. Gets pretty cold in winter. Have to make sure your girlfriend keeps her mouth off it.

If you want to go back to the bad old days go with the keg tap for bud or some other beer. Quite common to see an idiot trying to shift one of those back in the 70's were I lived. I have an aluminum pistol grip a buddy made for my car back in 81. Car is gone but the aluminum pistol grip is still with me. Gets pretty cold in winter. Have to make sure your girlfriend keeps her mouth off it.

I triple dog dare you!! you slay me :sign5: Now where can I find a Schlitz tap???

-
Back