Oddball 1970 Dart GT Find....

-

cosgig

MoBro Inc.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Howdy all, cosgig here. I'd like to share a find we just discovered and maybe get a few questions answered about it. Heres the details...

This is a 1970 Dart GT car, and for all intents and purposes it looks like any other 70 Dart. What is confusing about this particular car are the options, or lack thereof. First, other than the A65 code, which is the GT package, there is nothing but fleet options on it. It is coded for the HD alternator, brakes and battery, and the 318 "Police motor", but the really oddball codes are F33, F35 and F38, which decode as left and right 6" spotlight and the F38 is a roof reinforcement code

The A65 GT package is a very short list of 2 items...bucket seats and the GT side medallions. My question is...why would someone order (this is an ordered car) a basically plain green 70 Dart with the GT package, HD underpinnings and motor, and dual spotlights (which were never installed)?? What could this car have possible been destined for?? It's a mystery for sure!!!

The only other option besides rear armrests with ashtrays is a longitudinal side stripe in green, which is still on but faded almost beyond detection. I believe this to be the original paint!! What an oddball!!

Could this be a fleet car of some sort?? A commanders car?? Mail lady?? Pizza delivery special?? Any ideas?? HELP!!! Some pics... Geof

Attachments

• 100_3863.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 662
  • 100_3864.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 690
  • 100_3865.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 676
  • 100_3869.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 655
  • 100_3870.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 636
  • 100_3876.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 659
Neat find. I had a 71 GT that was gold, white top and interior. Mine had the console, air and power brakes. There is a web site devoted to 70/71 dart GT. Just google it. And there are a few guys on here from that website i believe. That is a werid one for the spotlights too.

Curtis

sounds like the sherriff around there was getting pi$$ed at all the teenagers outrunning them back in the day and decided to try and blend in and compete undercover...:)

I thought maybe the "Greensboro" police chiefs car!!!

Thanks for the link Curtis, I just registered it!!Geof

Too bad Bruce isn't here, he'd love this.

Thats what I thought Mike. When I went to register it on the site he founded, a very sad feeling hit me that he isn't here to share in this. He was a great guy and I miss him a lot, as I'm sure many others do as well!! I got a feeling he helped make the purchase happen, it was a 3 week long process that almost didn't happen!!

Thanks Bruce for looking down on this deal!!! Geof

Since its green maybe it was an MP's car in the Armed Forces...

cosgig,

I was old that x-number of x-color GTs were delivered to various parts of the country in groups. I don't know if that means a truckload of green cars went west, gold cars south, or whatever. Unfortunately, I can't remember where, or from whom, I heard that.
What are your plans for this GT?

cosgig,

I was old that x-number of x-color GTs were delivered to various parts of the country in groups. I don't know if that means a truckload of green cars went west, gold cars south, or whatever. Unfortunately, I can't remember where, or from whom, I heard that.
What are your plans for this GT?

Parting it out, then selling the shell!! Geof

I know Mike, but I just have too many things to do on my other cars to save this one, and it has a lot of good parts to offer. It would need both quarters, both front fenders, probably both doors and a hood and a trunk lid, basically all of the outer sheet metal. The interior is funky and would need to be completely gone through, theres no motor, and the trans is of questionalble quality!! The floors are in good condition as is the trunk pan, thus the reason I am going to offer the shell.

Other than that, it's a great car!!!LOL!! Geof

I know Mike, but I just have too many things to do on my other cars to save this one, and it has a lot of good parts to offer. It would need both quarters, both front fenders, probably both doors and a hood and a trunk lid, basically all of the outer sheet metal. The interior is funky and would need to be completely gone through, theres no motor, and the trans is of questionalble quality!! The floors are in good condition as is the trunk pan, thus the reason I am going to offer the shell.

Other than that, it's a great car!!!LOL!! Geof

No worries, after looking at it again, I see what you mean, and I see a lot of 'funky' interior parts that are specific to my car and not reproduced.

Interesting find. I see it has no console in it, as it was equipped with a column shift. The police car theory sounds appropriate, especially in light of the roof reinforcement option which could have been meant to support the added weight of a bar light or dome roof light.
Mine is a Dart GT as well, but a '71. Bruce would have been tickled to see this one, thanks for the post.

Built at the Windsor, Ontario plant?

They had their own F code system. I am not aware of anyone that has figured them out yet, but they are not the same as the F codes used by other plants.

I can recall in the 60's our family Dr. still making house calls and his car had a spot light on it for those late night address searches.

Maybe a retired cop from the 50's who wasn't ready to put down the badge LOL....

They had their own F code system. I am not aware of anyone that has figured them out yet, but they are not the same as the F codes used by other plants.

Yep, Windor built!! That may explain the spotlight codes and reinforcement!! I did notice on Bruce's GT website that all GT cars seem to have been built with the HD underpinnings and charging system!! Thanks T/A, that may explain a lot!! Geof

That sure sounds more plausible.

If you are parting it out cut the headliner and take a picture showing the reinforcements.

How about a picture of the fender tag and build sheet? It may help others decode those F codes at that plant.

My dad's best friend used to be mayer of Calumet Park here back in those days. Their police dept had an unmarked 340 Duster. When someone pulled next to it at a light and tried to race it, they got pulled over. This may have been ordered to do something like that.

Buildsheet...

Attachments

• 100_3884.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 484
  • 100_3885.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 486
Buildsheet...

OK, that's friggin weird.

But the car looks like original paint? I don't seen any holes in the A-pilars for spotlights. Where were the spotlight mounted?

If it really had/has those police options installed like the buildsheet eludes to... only thing I can think of is a comanders car, or fire inspector/chief.

-
Back