Oddball cars you have hot rodded.......

-

Abodybomber

Breaking street machines , since 1983.....:)
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Had too many street racing tickets,as a teen age punk. The old man hands me a 78 Datsun pick up.Slowest vehicle,I had ever driven. Well,had a machine shop class. Picked up a desperate 2.0 datsun block. Stuffed 280z flat tops,0 decked the block. Up top,a mildly ported small chamber head. Intake,a Lynx intake with a 45mm Dellorto. 228/238 @ Crane world can.Frisky little bugger. 4.38's out back,swapped 280z 5 spd .Kept things fun,until my license cleaned up.Best of all,sold it to buy a 69 Road Runner project. What's your story?

Datsun love. You really are my sweetheart, Tim. That must have made some people scratch their heads!

How about a 1985 Chevette, blown 4 popper, replaced with 7MGTE, R154 and lotus axle from a Corolla. Hood wouldn't shut. Slammed it until it bent shut. High School was awesome for cars.

Not really a hotroding story, but worth telling;

My friend and I would ride his rig every day to school; 1967 Plymouth Sport Fury, white on metallic light blue vinyl top and matching interior. Gorgeous car, all original paint, shiney, smelled unmistakably like original Chrysler product inside. Still has it.

One day, the 318 blows a head gasket. We put it in the garage awaiting work and pull out the "loaner" from his dad's yard. **** brown 1973 Plymouth duster, (rootbeer would suffice, if it didn't look like the rocky mountains, thanks to the drunk teen-ager he got the car from on the pass side... we would tell people our dream was to drive it through a giant butt) anywho... we decided to drive that rig (and jump it a few times) until the Fury was back up.

It was fun, with the 7 1/4 sure grip, do donuts in the dirt parking lot, etc. So, we're at tech school every morning, cops show up at our normal high school and hand a ticket to a friend, turned jerk over the years who would talk ish about our cars. He drove a burgundy Chevelle. Brown Duster... Burgundy Chevelle... cops didn't know any better.

I'm in the process of putting a 92 mustang 5.0 and t5 trans into my 85 toyota celica. The 4 banger just wasn't enough fun for a daily driver.

IMG_2651_zps519f8fd1.jpg

celicasigggy.jpg

downsized_0420121258.jpg

Last summer I helped my friend put a 350 chevy and t5 into his toyota pickup.

downsized_0730121950.jpg

downsized_0806121834.jpg

downsized_0807121928.jpg

Guess the least "mainstream" car I've built was a 36,000 original mile but rusty '55 Plymouth Plaza 2 door. Saved it from the crusher in East Texas. Hand formed all the replacement panels, took off the bumpers and made roll pans, slicked up the body.
Added disc brakes, power steering, back halved it so some "way back when" N-50/15 Protracs and a narrowed 3.70 9" Frog rear would tuck up under it. Car sat low, looked sweet. For power I dropped a high mileage but well kept 440/727 in it with a mild cam and springs, Eddy intake, 750 Holley and reworked B-body headers. Ran 13.1's at around 103 at Wall Dragway down at San Angelo.

Never got to finish it, the ex wife beat it to death with a baseball bat...........

Well....we didn't do it, but we almost did. Remember the little first generation Ford Fiesta? This was like 81 or 82 and me and my best friend from high school were workin at the local Ford place. There was a Fiesta that got totaled by the ins. company and we actually bought it. The plan was to put a 5.0 rustang engine in it. We had the car, engine, trans and a narrowed 8". Unfortunately, Ford abolished the apprentice program and we both lost our jobs. So we had to end up selling it all. A 302 4 speed Fiesta. It wouldda been so cool.

I once broke the 3 speed in a completely stock 60 Falcon, does that count?

Closest thing I've done, I guess, is the 340 powered FJ-40 Landcruiser. We won't talk, here, about just how fast it's gone.

Went to HS with a guy who had a Nissan Hardbody pickup...between junior and senior years, he & his dad put a Tuned Port Injection 350 from a Corvette in it! My friend has a 1947 Studebaker pickup with a Ford 390, a 4-speed, a GM 12-bolt axle, and a circle-track front suspension.

I saw a guy on the Power Tour a couple years ago driving a Chevette powered by a MPI 3100 V6/TH700 from a 1991 Firebird. Not huge power...but it was only 1900lbs!

Had this years ago. When I bought it, it was not road
ready. I finished it and had a lot of fun with it.

Attachments

• 454VW (Medium).jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 231
Tony,that's cool. One of my customers,had a convertible VW(68-70ish). The body was widened 4 inches. Saw louvers ,in the front. Thinking "small block". Opeh the deckli..err ,hood . Looking at a 396 rat. Had a couple El Camino,recognize the frame. Never laughed,so hard in my life....

the ex wife beat it to death with a baseball bat...........

I love how the picture was painted, up until the end. That's one hell of a story.

Went to HS with a guy who had a Nissan Hardbody pickup

A friend had a '72 620, 3 years ago. Couldn't get the charging system to work and sold it, arrow straight for $200 when I was out of town in San Diego. I could have strangled him. The 620 Double was strange.

built a foxbody with a 2.3 turbo for my friend.made a boost controller,an adjustable fuel pressure reg,ported everything,intake hollowed upper,e bay t3 t4 turbo,made a front mount intercooler,used the best ford ecu.i had it running 26 pounds of boost.it was kick ***.

well depends on what you call hot rodding ? My truck had enough power . But didnt look good enough for me lol I know some of yall are sick of seeing it lol

Attachments

• 27631570160_large.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 206
  • 27631570069_large.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 190
  • 27631570073_large.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 204
  • 27631570355_large.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 182
I love how the picture was painted, up until the end. That's one hell of a story.

Lol. Got aggravated, sold it to a friend for $50. Yeah..... $50. Got even with the ex {to my mind anyway} by building a lowered '64 Dodge Town Wagon, bone stock 360/727, 2.73 8 3/4, tinted windows, fully insulated, front and rear air, PS, PDB, tilt, cruise, quality sound system etc.
Yellow, Keystone classics, black and grey leather/cloth interior, chunked 4 bean bags in back for rear seats. No, no seat belts on 'em. In hindsight, not the safest setup, but it sure was comfy. Was a nice highway cruiser, made several long trips in it. Sold it that one to a friend too, got a little more than $50 for it though haha.....

-
Back