OE Driveshaft for a 7.25 > 8.25 A-body /6 swap

-

csheehy

^Yup, that's me
Reaction score
Is there an OE driveshaft that will drop-in for a factory 7.25 > 8.25 (donor is a 1974 Dart) differential swap in a '68 Barracuda, /6 with a 904?

Also, any PNs for U-joint recommendations?

I will be using a carrier out of a '91 Jeep to bolt up a 3.23 R&P. Any recommendations, warnings, or well-wishes for this mash-up?

I realize the only option might be to cut the shaft, but thought I'd throw this out there if there were any tricks I hadn't thought of. Many of you have probably already gone down this road...

Last edited:
I want to know as well. I have an 8.25 from a 73 Dart Sport I want to put in my '68 /6 904.

Is there an OE driveshaft that will drop-in for a factory 7.25 > 8.25 (donor is a 1974 Dart) differential swap in a '68 Barracuda, /6 with a 904?

Also, any PNs for U-joint recommendations?

I will be using a carrier out of a '91 Jeep to bolt up a 3.23 R&P. Any recommendations, warnings, or well-wishes for this mash-up?

I realize the only option might be to cut the shaft, but thought I'd throw this out there if there were any tricks I hadn't thought of. Many of you have probably already gone down this road...
Yes! Many have gone down this path before. Check the search feature. It is your friend.

motor wont matter. even w/a v8 the back of the trans sits exactly in the same spot.

It's a bit of work but start like this, Wheel base for your 68, wheel base choices for the 73 and up A bodies that offered the 8 1/4 axle, find the match and then go through the parts book to find your driveshaft. The parts books had length center to center of the U joints and then you can ask for the size you need. Be sure to check transmission choice because the 727 was in there too for the 340 and 360 cars, engine has no factor in length.

Back then (30 plus years) I use to have a pile of driveshafts and just rummaged through to find what I needed, not so easy today. I believe that Mymopar.com has most of the older parts book to help your search.

Cliff Ramsdell

-
Back