-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Contact seller
I left the gas station without my freaking gas cap. I went back and it was gone. I found an OEM part, NOS for $110. That sucks. I have found some reproductions that aren't quite right in the $45 range. Does anyone have one? Or does anyone know where I can find a reasonable one?

Post a pic of your car showing the left side so we can identify the cap. I might have one and I live in MN

Post a pic of your car showing the left side so we can identify the cap. I might have one and I live in MN

Hey, Dartguy340, if you have one, I can make you a smokin' deal. I own Bebop's in Blaine. Not only will I be happy to buy the cap, I can buy you dinner and a beer or two! Coon Rapids is just up the street.

Chrome with black plastic handle is not an OE item. It was an aftermarket replacement. The OE cap was body colour with body colour metal handle. For under $12, you can get another aftermarket cap (Stant 10800 or Gates 31743), which is black-painted metal with a black plastic handle. Disassemble it to remove the aluminum plate with the (inapplicable) warning about fuel spray, paint the black metal the body colour of your car, reinstall the handle, and you'll be a great deal closer to the OE cap.

Chrome with black plastic handle is not an OE item. It was an aftermarket replacement. The OE cap was body colour with body colour metal handle. For under $12, you can get another aftermarket cap (Stant 10800 or Gates 31743), which is black-painted metal with a black plastic handle. Disassemble it to remove the aluminum plate with the (inapplicable) warning about fuel spray, paint the black metal the body colour of your car, reinstall the handle, and you'll be a great deal closer to the OE cap.

More painting? Damn you, man! :) Oh well, I want an OE style cap and you have to do what you have to do. Thanks, Slantsixdan.

If you're draggin' out the paint, you might as well shoot the black plastic handle bar with plastic primer and then body paint, too; then you'll be real close to an OE cap appearance.

Hey, Dartguy340, if you have one, I can make you a smokin' deal. I own Bebop's in Blaine. Not only will I be happy to buy the cap, I can buy you dinner and a beer or two! Coon Rapids is just up the street.

Get outta here! What's your name? "Wild Bill"(your dishwasher) never told me one of his bosses has a Dart...I had 8 of them up until this July, and have known Bill since 1975!
Back to the cap...slantsixdan is right, the cap you had on was not original, did yours look like this one?
Let me know.....Steve

Attachments

• gas cap.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 131
Dartguy340, my cap looked like that. Wild Bill works for me. He used to work at Wards back in the day when I worked there, but he was at a different store. My name is Greg Deyo. I bought into Bebops last November. I drive my car once a week on a nice day and usually every Saturday if it isn't raining. I bought a cap today from O'Reilly's and plan to paint it to match, plastic handle and all. I would still offer to buy a forabodiesonly local guy dinner and beer, though. I am here Tuesday - Saturday from around 2:00pm until 3:30am.

Greg, glad to hear you found a cap. Next time I stop by I'll ask Bill where you're at and introduce myself. Have a good one!
Steve

I've done exactly as Dan recommended , back in the 90's for my '72 Dart and '73 Duster .

The O.E.M. handles almost fir exactly , but their mounting holes are off just a bit . While I've not tried it , one could probably elongate the mounting holes in the new cap , and retrofit the o.e.m. handle to the new cap , for a 100% stock appearance .

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back