OEM carb question

-

Orionsax7

Reaction score
I've started doing some research into the spreadbore carbs available for mopars and I think I'd like to get a thermoquad to play around with.

Other than tuning, I'd like to get a carb that does not need a lot of modifications(getting rid of extra emission things, etc, etc). What would be a good carb to play with? Thermoquad? AFB? Quadrajet? I would really like to get a 72-75 thermoquad but would like some input from everyone. I'm no stranger to tuning carburetors but all my experience is on Holleys and I'd like to learn more about the OE stuff.

(Street car for now, Street/strip 408 going into it soon)

Thanks,
Alex

The AFB is probably one of the best street carbs of the bunch. Once you get them set up for your engine, close the hood and forget about them, has been my experience. The Thermoquad is an excellent street carb, but can be a lot more work to get running just right, and the Q-jet was never one of my favorites, even when I ran them on Chevys.

I attend an auto technical school and one of my instructors was telling me the same thing about AFBs. Anyone have experience running thee carbs? What are some differences as far as user-friendliness and performance when it comes to the AVS, AFB, and thermoquad carbs?

-Alex

I have used all of them and have had the most trouble setting up the thermoquad and that one will be the hardest to find parts for. I really like my Q-jet on my '88 van, it came from the factory with it and is a good balance of mileage and power. It is very difficult to say which one is best. It all depends on the application.

I think the Edelbrocks are the easiest carbs for the street, For all out power a holley is hard to beat but I've always wanted to try a ThermoQuad.

Thanks for the help everyone. I ended up buying a Carter AVS carb that came off a 1969 Dodge Coronet, # 4682

Gonna play with this one for a while and then maybe try a thermoquad next!

I'll add pics and updates starting next week when the carb gets here.

-Alex

Had a non-smog Thermoquad on my 318 that I had rebuilt with an old left over strip kit and it ran great but like one said before it is hard to find parts for it, had to change mine last summer for a edelbrock avs because the needle and seats were worn out on the thermoquad. But when it was running it ran great and the tuneability is good but there is a little more to it thats all. I was told back in the day they were refered to as "ThermoBogs"

I loved the AVS that came on my 68 gtx way back when. Only problem is when it comes to jets and metering rods. If you need to change any, I'd be scouring for a CARTER Strip Kit for it. Sorta hard to find, but a great selection of jets and rods. I sold one about 2 months ago. Edelbrock is now making the AVS with their thunder series. Maybe jets and rods will interchange, that would be nice. good luck.

don

The new Edelbrock AVS cross over carb uses longer rods like the OE or the shorter AFB rods?
The easy way around the longer rod problem is to flatten the covers or simple as for them from Edelbrock. Thats the only thing preventing you from a shorter rod use. The covers are domed on the AVS (OE carb)

yep...I got tired of screwing with holleys...under the hood multiple times a week...Carter AFB solved all the problems and works better!

-
Back