OEM chrome valve covers for 383

-

Joey4speed

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I know this subject has been debated before. I also saw the mopar memo describing standard chrome valve covers on the Plymouth Super Commando HP 383. Has anyone seen the Dodge Dart with "orange" valve covers on an hp 383?

Yes, standard v-cover on most 440HPs was paint. Chrome was reserved for special applications. My '68 cuda 383 came with chrome v/covers because of the special application, not because the engine was special. I don't think '67s were chrome.

Thanks for responding.
I would imagine the 69 Dart GTS w 383, 4 speed WAS a special application.

I've owned 14 69 Dart GTS 383 cars and each one had chrome valve covers. Here is a picture of the original valve covers on the first one I bought in 1978...

101_1410.JPG

Starting in 1967 and running until 1969 as far as I know all 383 a bodies came with factory OEM chrome valve covers.

Thanks.
I cant seem to find the correct 1969, 383 Chrome Valve covers anywhere. The main on line stores dont seem to carry them.

You have to find originals or order the AMD 69 version in plain steel and send them out to be chromed. I am not aware of any aftermarket pre-chromed 69 versions.

You can get them in the 67/68 version already chromed.

Last thing is if you use the plain 69 version you will have to dip the wire holders in plasti dip or equivalent to complete them after chroming.

Last edited:
Have heard they fixed the issues with the baffles being to low and mount holes off center. I can not confirm but likely the best bet as the originals are hard to find and likely need re-chrome any how.

Maybe after chrome a good masking and some spray on rubber stuff. Dipping would be difficult on a couple of the holders but doable.

I have several sets of 67, 68, and 69 chrome valve covers, the only problem is they were in my garage fire and are covered with soot. I haven't found anything that takes that stuff off, so they will need rechromed I am pretty sure.

Just ordered steel valve covers from AMD, and Ill get them chromed....as suggested by 1969383S
Thanks for all of the intel and replies.

Heads-up! V/covers need to be "disassembled" to be chromed leading to high cost. Just had mine done- $800.

The set I had on my car had the heater hose bracket on them. Not sure if that is correct for 67-68, but I'm pretty sure 69 didn't have it.

IMG_1129.jpg

Heads-up! V/covers need to be "disassembled" to be chromed leading to high cost. Just had mine done- $800.
???
What do you mean when you say disassembled?

Last edited:
I have several sets of 67, 68, and 69 chrome valve covers, the only problem is they were in my garage fire and are covered with soot. I haven't found anything that takes that stuff off, so they will need rechromed I am pretty sure.

Your inbox is full please delete some or send me a PM concerning fire damage!

OK, this is a little scary. Talked to two chrome shops and this seems to be standard procedure. Before chroming can begin, all baffles, brackets and tabs must be removed from v/cover. Then straightening and plating can begin. Baffles, brackets and tabs are then re-attached before final plating. Here is the result. These are original v/covers on my '68 cuda 383. The original chrome has been stripped and then re-chromed. Hardly anyone in California is qualified to do this, so I have been using Paul's in Penn. Covers look fantastic, I am very happy, but wanted to post so you know what you are in for. $800.

100_2514.JPG

OK. Thanks for that heads up. Let you know how it goes here on the East Coast.

OK, this is a little scary. Talked to two chrome shops and this seems to be standard procedure. Before chroming can begin, all baffles, brackets and tabs must be removed from v/cover. Then straightening and plating can begin. Baffles, brackets and tabs are then re-attached before final plating. Here is the result. These are original v/covers on my '68 cuda 383. The original chrome has been stripped and then re-chromed. Hardly anyone in California is qualified to do this, so I have been using Paul's in Penn. Covers look fantastic, I am very happy, but wanted to post so you know what you are in for. $800.

View attachment 1715288847

Those are the same as mine, so obviously correct for a 68 but not a 69.

View attachment 1715288847

Would agree with this if older used units were to be chromed. New nice pieces should be able to go straight to chrome.

Those 67/68 came out nice, how are you planning to coat the plug wire and harness holder tabs?

Not sure if AMD puts any coating on the tabs and wires holder on plain steel units. If so that would need to be removed prior to chrome.

Last edited:
I removed the old cracked coating on mine and used plastidip. Buy the liquid and then pour it into a small container and dip the tabs in. it takes a few coats but works great.

-
Back