OEM Hydraulic Roller lifters / LA Engine

-

360duster

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

i´m building a 408 Smallblock based on a 360 LA from 1991. This one is factory equipped with hydraulic roller cam / Lifters.

Now the shortblock is done, i want to put in the oem hydraulic roller lifters to complete the valvetrain. the lifters have the oil supply hole in line to the roller axis, so i can put the lifters in with this hole towards front of the engine or towards rear of the engine - wich way they should be?

Every Magnum engine Lifter i saw has got this oil hole 90° offset to the roller axis and they have a paint dot that goes to the inside of the engine (easier to bleed air from the lifter).

I think it´s not a big deal with the direction, but if someone can clarify this would be great!

Thanks in advance

Michael

All the ones I've seen have that hole that must point to the inside (at the cam). If it doesnt have it perpendicular to the axle and you can't "point that hole up" you may get air trapped and ticking. The last set I used came from SIS I think... PAW sells/sold them. They have the hole in the right spot, but no paint daub like the factory ones do.

that´s the same i know about these lifters - the paint dot should point to the cam. Unfortunately this is not possible with the lifters i have, but i think these are the original ones, the engine was not disassembled before.

does someone have a manual from a late model car with LA-engine? There must be a explanation how to put them in...

Thanks

Michael

Hmmm. Maybe yours is earlier and the lifters with the paint were later to correct a noise issue? Wish I could help more...lol.

Just checked my book. This is straight from Ma Mopar.

"Ensure that the oil feed hole in the side of the tappet body faces up (away from the crankshaft)."

FYI, they also say to coat each tappet in Mopar Super Oil Conditioner or equivalent. This is in a section where they are putting used tappets back into an engine.

hm, no way to put these lifters in with the hole facing up - then the roller ist perpendicular to the cams lobes...not good...:iconbigg:

I think i´ll put them in with the holes facing to the front of the engine, this is the higher point - then we´ll see. They were in a running engine, so they should work somehow. Unfortunately i was not there when the former owner did the disassembly.

64 cuda: can you scan these pages and supply to me? this would be great!

Thanks at all for the information!

Michael

hm, no way to put these lifters in with the hole facing up - then the roller ist perpendicular to the cams lobes...not good...:iconbigg:

I think i´ll put them in with the holes facing to the front of the engine, this is the higher point - then we´ll see. They were in a running engine, so they should work somehow. Unfortunately i was not there when the former owner did the disassembly.

64 cuda: can you scan these pages and supply to me? this would be great!

Thanks at all for the information!

Michael

The mopar hyd roller lifters I have used have the oil hole facing up (or down if you put it in the wrong way). Not sure what type you have with the oil hole parallel to the roller, are they afertmarket?

Hi 340duster,

don´t think so, all the internal engine parts were stock, no signs of a rebuild etc., but i don´t know for sure.

Do the oem roller lifters have a number engraved / stamped or something?

-
Back