OEM Rocker Arm Side Play

-
That’s ugly!!!

84D63DCF-A944-43FB-BFD5-2672B4D56860.jpeg

Ugly is right. While I can fix this, along with the spacers I’ve now gotta figure the most economical route: adjustable ball/ball or individual custom pushrods.

The valve heights on the exhausts are anywhere from approx. .030”-.045” lower than the intakes on one head, and the intakes at about .030” lower than the exhausts on the other.

That and the rockers as they are = “Fugly”:eek: Will be checking everything again after fixing to see where things stand and whether a set of same length pushrods will work, maybe move rockers around and see. I’d rather have lifter preload as equal as possible though.

Last edited:
After fixing the rocker fit, you may end up being to get away with 2 different length pushrods.

I’m generally not a proponent of Chinese rockers....... but with what you have going on there....... I’d probably go with some PRW’s instead of having to rework stock replacement parts.

I think I would try some cheap stainless adjustable, but if I had that problem with the mellings, I would order another set, pick the best 16, and return the worst.

I have gotten stamped rockers from several different manufacturers all different qualities. I can't remember who made the good ones but they were all the same price pretty much. I moved away from stamp about 3 years ago. Sorry no help.:( I thought Federal Mogul but I could be mistaken. And I do believe they were coming from Mexico at that time.

I haven’t bought any new stamped rockers in over 20 years.
I had no idea they had gotten so bad.

I’ve had these Mellings for over a year on the shelf, was going to put them on an aborted 90 W-150 stock 318 build, but gifted them to my sons 360 build to help him save some $$$, So far just a bunch of extra prep work, this may work, may not. Using an old shaft and valve grinding paste to mark where to grind, it takes some repeated mark and grind to get them acceptable. This one shown in pics is the last one, actually rechecked all and I had to do this on six total.

Never would have thought this would be an issue with factory style parts. How many slap this stuff on as is and roll?? I wonder how long they’d last until galling or ?

This is all that contacts the shaft
0FCF6F05-B07D-429F-A1AD-803CEA573A36.jpeg

A3D125D7-6E30-4885-B529-4726476F2090.jpeg

71E830CE-BF07-4598-B053-515859184219.jpeg

Not sure you can see in the pictures but the five rockers in a row are more “silver” in color and are the ones I needed to do this to. The other three are slightly darker and were fine. Both left and rights needed to be relieved. Also, the darker ones have the oiling hole drilled slightly further into the cup vs the others. All these rockers are USA made Mellings (at least as indicated on the boxes) These came to me as one shipment when I ordered. No idea on age of these but something changed at some point in manufacturing.

4ACFE6E4-E180-4949-8C99-6550E71BF6CD.jpeg

Last edited:
I have to think if they had been run ootb, there would have been some oiling related issues from the six that weren’t even close to plugging up the hole in the shaft from that big gap between the rocker and shaft.

Time for some ibuprofen and a beer! :BangHead:Measured, moved rockers around, remeasured and this is the best I can close up the shortest to longest spread. One equal length set of pushrods not looking possible, two different lengths (8/8) would work. hmmm, time for another beer!:drama: The real variance is in the Speedmaster heads.

Zero lash measurements:
9B2D9487-F03E-4AF5-80F1-4DB26F34DD13.jpeg

These measurements include adding .050” for preload.
0EE84354-1FE3-4122-87B0-333CD345043D.jpeg

Turns out of the measuring pushrod (one turn = .050”, tool is accurate)

21431739-D948-4052-97BD-43E9B0BD2B25.jpeg

Last edited:
I have to think if they had been run ootb, there would have been some oiling related issues from the six that weren’t even close to plugging up the hole in the shaft from that big gap between the rocker and shaft.
Makes complete sense. Especially at a high RPM, oil starving the rockers and valve tips caint be good

Not sure you can see in the pictures but the five rockers in a row are more “silver” in color and are the ones I needed to do this to. The other three are slightly darker and we’re fine. Both left and rights needed to be relieved. Also, the darker ones have the oiling hole drilled slightly further into the cup vs the others. All these rockers are USA made Mellings (at least as indicated on the boxes) These came to me as one shipment when I ordered. No idea on age of these but something perhaps changed in manufacturing.

View attachment 1715845652
I'd be about pissed off!

I’ll usually take my time and give “fixing it” a chance with most stuff. If all else fails then I really “fix it” and the problem is fixed as then there’s nothing left of it!:lol:

I’ll usually take my time and give “fixing it” a chance with most stuff. If all else fails then I really “fix it” and the problem is fixed as then there’s nothing left of it!:lol:
Heck yeah... fix it til it's "good and fixed now!"

Does any stamped rocker fit tight on the shaft... Answer is...They don't.
They are held up tight by the push rod/valve to the shaft .

Keeping lifter preload within .050”-.090” will require 3 sets of pushrod lengths. No big deal, all three lengths available singular from Manley. Spacers and pushrod order come monday:lol:

Keeping lifter preload within .050”-.090” will require 3 sets of pushrod lengths. No big deal, all three lengths available singular from Manley. Spacers and pushrod order come monday:lol:
Badass Man! That's getting er done, Correctly! And the way You shared this, I think should go in tech, or how to maybe, due to the Educational Value!

-
Back