Off Mopar Topic. 1973 Cadillac Hearse Question

-

OriginalDart

Reaction score
I've been having some resistance trying to find info on a 1973 cadillac superior hearse. I've got the vin decoded but it still doesnt give me the info i need. I want chassis info, body info...the vin says its a 'short sill cowl' body type but google gives me NOTHING on that!!! Anything will help at this point. Know any good forums or people that have restored these? It's the same body as the Ecto 1 from ghostbusters

-TheOriginalDart

P.S Just rebuilt the top end on my 69 273 dart!! Runs smoother than sap from a tree!!

I've been having some resistance trying to find info on a 1973 cadillac superior hearse. I've got the vin decoded but it still doesnt give me the info i need. I want chassis info, body info...the vin says its a 'short sill cowl' body type but google gives me NOTHING on that!!! Anything will help at this point. Know any good forums or people that have restored these? It's the same body as the Ecto 1 from ghostbusters

-TheOriginalDart

P.S Just rebuilt the top end on my 69 273 dart!! Runs smoother than sap from a tree!!
no i dont know of any fourms but i will save you from them making fun of you .. Ecto was a 59 not a 73

Cadillac (and others) provides only a body from the cowl forward, usually including the front doors to the hearse manufacturer. Then they make everything else. GM VIN's are different from Mopars as they don't give the same info that Mopar does like engine size or whether the car is an SS or not. That is why virtually EVERY Chebbie you see is an SS.

Benji

Do you know the body builder?

There were several different builders that received the "cab and chassis" from GM, and usually hand built the hearse bodies.

In the 70's some of them merged and/or were acquired by each other.

One of the big ones was Sayers and Scoville.

helping you out on a caddie?

OVER MY DEAD BODY!!!

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Might check with professional cars clubs

As far as the engine in a 73 caddy it should be a 472 or 501 (caddy just called them 500)

Got to drive a 73 eldordo convertible in the mid 70's with a 500 and my 74 coupe de ville has a 500, that was the optional engine 472 standard

Unless someone here is into professional cars you will not get the answers you are looking for. Might check Old Cars Weekly for professional car clubs

I want a old horse drawn Hearst and make a hot rod out of it.

Ecto-1 was a 1959 Cadillac professional chassis, built by the Miller-Meteor company, 73 looks nothing likte it.

I want a old horse drawn Hearst and make a hot rod out of it.

I know a guy that built a Blown Small Block Chevy hot rod that was modeled after a 1909 horse drawn Hearst, he did a nice job, don't have any pictures, but sounds like what you are wanting, he also has a coffin car with V8 power, he is a little TWISTED.

I googles professional cars and to several professional car society links

Cadillac Eldorado.....

The only car wider than it is long

The only car which needs an overwidth, overlength, and overweight permit in 30 some states just to be legally moved

The only car you cannot park for more than an hour on a hot day or it will sink into the pavement

The only car which holds LESS people per square footage, cubic footage, weight, or any other practical measure.

You ARE going to put a Mopar drivetrain into this thing, right?

I suggest......................

DSC00294.jpg

08031315a.jpg

I know a guy that built a Blown Small Block Chevy hot rod that was modeled after a 1909 horse drawn Hearst, he did a nice job, don't have any pictures, but sounds like what you are wanting, he also has a coffin car with V8 power, he is a little TWISTED.

I googles professional cars and to several professional car society links

The "BOOT HILL EXPRESS" & Granpa Munster's "DRAG-U-LA"

Attachments

• boot hill express.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 519
  • Grandpa-the-Drag-u-la-.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 571
-
Back