Off the rotisserie.....now what???

-

STR-14

I put the hoar in hoarder
Reaction score
I bought the Dart as a fairly complete roller, with lots of loose parts, but I'm pretty darn sure it doesn't go back together in the order that I took it apart. So my question is, what methodology do you use? Where do you start and (list anyone?) what order do you reassemble a car in. So far I've got the headliner in and a couple of pieces of trim in place. I'm wondering if I'm just out thinking myself or should I just steam ahead and put pieces when and where I please. I saved every nut, bolt, screw, clip and fastener that came off that thing and I can't stand re-using that old crap, so as a consequence every time I go to put something on I want new fasteners, so then I have to wait for them to come. I pretty confident there really is no wrong way, as long as there is forward progress, but what I am fearful of is having to take something apart a second time because I did not think it through.
Any recommendations on an order of progress?
Daryl

Lord have mercy. You opened up a can of worms on this. I ain't sure any two people do anything the same way in this hobby. I say just do what is comfortable. If you get bored or burned out, move on to sumthin else. My method for example is breaking a build down into the different subsystems. Such as front suspension, rear suspension, engine, trans....get the picture? ...and I do it in no particular order. I just jump in where I want to and skip around if I want to. The key is not to get bored or burned out.

Hey Daryl, I have no freakin idea, but want to see what responses are, so I know when I put mine back together. You still got your cuda??

If it was me I'd start with the suspension, drivetrain, body, dash, and finally the interior. I suspect the exploded view you see in parts books with the detailed drawing of numbered parts will be your friend. I think they actually number the parts in assemble or disassembly order. This will be the key to what order the parts come apart and go together.

Good luck

I strip the car do the body work and paint then put everything else on, much like how the factory did it.....

I got mine back fro paint three weeks ago, first I installed the stainless steel brake and fuel
lines. the rear springs, rear end complete.then to the front motor and trans. on the k-frame
under it went and now the front end, suspension, breaks, this will make it a rollar and then the interior and the under the hood.

As I suspected people all have their own methodology - which is great. I just don't want to have to back track because I didn't think an assembly through....Thanks for the observations though........
Yes, I still have my Cuda. I'll probably just set it up as a driver car. It's got a pretty clean body, so I don't anticipate doing any expensive body work (thank god!). I might pop a 340 into it just because, fix up the interior a bit, maybe put in an 8 3/4 if I get real ambitous, but other than that no big changes.
I'm still trying to figure out how to do the pics thing. I can't do them at home (dial-up) and I'm usually too busy at work, but I'll try again.
Daryl

-
Back