Offenhauser intake - choke issue

-

MichaelD

Reaction score
My recently acquired 65 Dart GT has an aftermarket Offenhauser intake manifold and a stock Carter BBS carb. The Offy intake does not have a provision for a (divorced) choke as a result the choke plate is just flopping around. Is there a common solution to this issue? I was thinking and electric choke might work.

The previous owner installed a manual pull cable but it really doesn't work very well.

Any advise appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Michael

When properly installed the cable choke works very well......... but you are stuck kindof babysitting it for 3 or 4 minutes.
IDK why a guy would swap out the stocker tho. If you plan to drive it in the winter, I'd slam a stock intake back on there.

BBS, as in single barrel? Are we talking slant six here? Wouldn't that be on the exhaust?
upload_2019-12-12_20-33-56.jpeg

Well in that case I would say a manual choke, but it may be possible to spot weld a choke well shield from a small block between a pair of header tubes and use a choke thermostat assembly from a small block. A couple of nuts on the bolts to hold it together. This is providing your carburetor has the choke vacuum break and accompanying linkage in place.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPqXSs608ecMe9B9I0f1Oqlra4isn1klxpsvBsecpLVFczvUlfZQ&s.jpg
s-l300.jpg

You've also still managed to forget to mention what the HELL we're workin on here.

-
Back