offenhauser intake question

-

slantscamp

Reaction score
hey guys. i puchased my intake at a swap meet. when i got it there was a bolt in the side of it. i dont know what it is used for, so i just put a gasket on it and tightened it up. i wanted to put a pipe plug in it but couldnt find one. i believe is a 7/16 bolt and all i see anywhere are 3/8 and 1/2 plugs. i was thinking of drilling out the hole and tapping it so i could put a 1/2" pipe plug in. im worried the bolt will not hold up and seal it off from vacuum leaks as well as a pipe plug would. let me know what you guys think. thanks. oh its the gold bolt under the carb base and it goes all the way into the manifold.

P4041985.jpg

Wouldnt that have tapered threads? If so i dont thing the bolt you have in there will seal properly.

well right now its tapped for a bolt. a 7/16 coarse thread bolt screws right in. i would rather tap it and put a tapered pipe plug in so it seals.

I'll be honest with you and say it would be a waste of time to go that route. I do think that some white/tefelon tape is all you'll need to put on it. That is all I ever used on my intakes. Never an issue same course thread and brass plug used on all my intakes.

sounds good. i think im going to try to find a little shorter bolt. but other than that. some sealer and reinstall. thanks!

Is that a 63 Valiant that you have that that set up in? If it is what kind of headers are those? I just bought the 2X2 Offy of of dart64gt and was thinking of putting this set up on my V200 but tried my single header and could not get it to clear between the steering and the tranny.
BTW Nice looking setup on the engine, have you figured out the throttle hookup yet?

hey wolfy. they are clifford headers, but i would try to find a good used set, or go with dutra duals because clifford was a pain in the butt to deal with and they sent me warped headers that they would not stand behind. i have since gotten the 63 on the road, here is a link to my build, it will show how i did the throttle setup. its real easy. if i can do it anyone can. i just used a lokar gas pedal, throttle cable, and kickdown cable. it has all been working beautiful. here is a link to the build: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=40597
here is a link to some drag racing i did in it the other day:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=74058
if you have any other questions let me know.
-aaron-

Thought they might have been, been looking at the Dutra's or making my own. Honestly thought that Clifford might treat people better than that, was really looking at buying thier head, but will think twice now, if thier customer support is not any better than that.

Wolfe
Dont spend the money on a Clifford Head. I can sell you a better one for less money or ANY machine shop can build what you want.
Frank

I got a head built to the same 'exacting specifications' that Clifford uses. And it cost me just under $750...for new oversized stainless valves, new rocker shaft, new 340 valve springs/retainers, hardened exhaust seats, and machining, which included .090 milling, bowl blending, installing the hardened seats and cutting for oversized valves...oh, and $20 for a bare cylinder head to start with. In short, any competent machine shop can do it for a lot less than what Clifford is charging.

-
Back