offenhouser or a airgap?

-

jakemary

Reaction score
im building a 340 for my 1970 340 duster and i belive it is 10:1 comp. it has light wieght pushrods. I want to make 400hp and putting j heads w/ 2.02 intake. not sure what carb or cam to use. i dont care if my idle is ruff. I have the offenhouser intake.

Not sure about the cam,Ill leave that to the experts but for the intake and carb I would go with the AIRGAP and a PROFORM 750 dp.

Any work to the heads?
What Offenhauser intake do you have?
What gears?
Headers?
You'll need a higher stall converter with most any cm recomendation made. Or actually, any cam recomendation.

yes headers
some head work
3speed maunal
i dont know what offenhouser i have.
from others i have talked to i should go with the airgap.
I have a airgap on the 77cj7 304 with a 1" spacer but the jeep has other issues.
any brand timing chains I should use or to stay away from. the chain on the 340 now is sloppy and it is only 20,000 old or so.

The RPM (Air gap or not) is super hard to beat and most likely the best deal for a street car hands down. If your looking to make a good effort street striper, same description as above except sometimes a single plane is what you want over a dual plane. Offenhauser makes a intake called the "Port-o-sonic" that needs a minor mod to it, but is an real good intake. IF you allready have that one and are doing a agressive engine, i'd stay with that.
Otherwise, I'd do a RPM.

Roll Master, a timing chain from down under is one of they absoulte best, but they will even strech after some time. Mopar makes a niffty little item called a timing chain tensioner and they can be purchased brand new from the dealer or Jegs/summit racing. There under $40 and keep tension on the chain so it doesn't bounce around. The chain will still strech, but not act sloppy in the case.

Find out what offey you have, and what are the cam specs, and what you want it to do.

Don't rule the offey out quite yet...

Rumble, funny you mention it, I have a port o sonic I build a little pyramid in, gramps circle track buddy's trick, worked great. There's more than one way to kill a pidgeon!

Air-Gap
Comp XE274
Holley 750
Headers
Should set you up just right !

-
Back