Offensive to sellers but have people gone over the cliff on Car values

-

SLOPAR72

Reaction score
So my quick story is someone is interested in my car and I am looking at values to determine a number. A quick look at all the hot spots including here just shivers me timbers lol.... Maybe I just don't get it at this point but I hope some of these owners don't actually think what they have is worth the asking price. There has always been some wiggle room for negotiating but when prices seem unrealistic how can they even expect a potential buyer to even entertain a conversation?

It could just be me but some of the numbers I have seen today would put someone like me within firing range of a Hellcat.....

JW

The hobby has become more of a playground for the rich and guys that are blue collar workers are priced out of this playground .The big money guys drive the prices and they get the goods.This is the deal these days just look at the numbers they throw around at the auctions and also at the new car dealerships.Unless you are willing to be a debt slave you can forget owning most of what you lust for

There is a Gateway Classic Cars by me that has a good selection of cars all ridiculous priced. I suspect they must negotiate quite a bit to sell anything. It’s fun to go look, but it must be for the very well to do, or the very uniformed.

Especially now too because the market has somewhat had the bottom fall out. None of the big auctions have garnered really big bucks lately.

Sellers may not like it, but it's the buyers that dictate the market.

I hope the decline continues so I can buy more. I like drivers that I can enjoy. On the positive side if you have a reasonably nice driver, you can enjoy it for several years and probably sell it for about what you paid for it. No so with new cars. Buy it for $30k, sell it for $8-10k in five years.

And that brand new Duster in 1970 was around 2500 bucks .How did we get to 30 grand for a car ? We are being -ucked

And that brand new Duster in 1970 was around 2500 bucks .How did we get to 30 grand for a car ? We are being -ucked

The only one getting plowed is the one buying it. I have a local car for sale going on 3 years now. Overly priced and not correct. I thought the guy was gonna swing at me when I told him about his inefficiencies lol... Hey, he put a crazy price tag on it at a swap meet. Feelings hurt with no ointment in sight. My point is in his mind that 25k for a cobbled up Abody was the right thing. Too many drugs I guess....

JW

Man, I hear ya. It's ridiculous what guys are asking for cars now. Even project cars are just priced insanely. $7000 for a rusted roller, needs every panel replaced, needs complete interior, needs complete drive train. The sellers reasoning is that the car will be worth $50Kwhen it's done, but fails to account for the $45K in restoration costs. And most people want to keep the car, not flip it.
Even guys hawking parts have just lost their minds now. $500 for an air cleaner?! What are people smoking??
Guys think they're gonna get rich selling parts. Whats the point of leaving parts sitting on a shelf, just hoping and praying that someone comes along with a blank check and cleans them out. Sell them for a reasonable price and give someone a chance to get the part they need to get their car on the road!
And don't get me started on these resto shows on TV. Yes, they are great to watch and see the cars they produce. But those shows are the very reason this hobby is un-attainable for the average blue collar guy. Now every a$$hole with more money than sense wants a car like the one he saw on TV last week.

Sorry, this post got away from me a little bit

so.... anyone want to help me out with my "10's for 5000" thread??? look'n for a solid, complete A body or B body that's a driver for 1000, 4 door ok '72 satellite 4 door would fit the bill just fine.

PM me for what you have :)

Man, I hear ya. It's ridiculous what guys are asking for cars now. Even project cars are just priced insanely. $7000 for a rusted roller, needs every panel replaced, needs complete interior, needs complete drive train. The sellers reasoning is that the car will be worth $50Kwhen it's done, but fails to account for the $45K in restoration costs. And most people want to keep the car, not flip it.
Even guys hawking parts have just lost their minds now. $500 for an air cleaner?! What are people smoking??
Guys think they're gonna get rich selling parts. Whats the point of leaving parts sitting on a shelf, just hoping and praying that someone comes along with a blank check and cleans them out. Sell them for a reasonable price and give someone a chance to get the part they need to get their car on the road!
And don't get me started on these resto shows on TV. Yes, they are great to watch and see the cars they produce. But those shows are the very reason this hobby is un-attainable for the average blue collar guy. Now every a$$hole with more money than sense wants a car like the one he saw on TV last week.

Sorry, this post got away from me a little bit

Your on point. It's why I am a firm believer in sometimes not looking back and going for the late model power. Old cars are great but not at the expense of throwing major money at one for the average working person. This ain't the 80's looking at the 60's and 70's. Even a decent late 80's Ramcharger is insane. Keep em' lol... They drive like crap and have more road noise than the average convertible lol....

JW

The only one getting plowed is the one buying it. I have a local car for sale going on 3 years now. Overly priced and not correct. I thought the guy was gonna swing at me when I told him about his inefficiencies lol... Hey, he put a crazy price tag on it at a swap meet. Feelings hurt with no ointment in sight. My point is in his mind that 25k for a cobbled up Abody was the right thing. Too many drugs I guess....

JW
Well,not me,I drive my 65 Valiant wagon and a 76 Doge Aspen as my daily drivers. It will be a cold day in hell before I pay what dealers want for new cars and even 10 to 15 year old use ones . It's just not worth spending that much of your life on .All you have really is time and you exchange it for money to exchange for goods . For me what they want isn't worth that much of my life so I pass. I rather have my old rusted up pos any day than spend all that time slaving away at some job to get this new overpriced stuff or this grossly overpriced " vintage" stuff.

"...In other words, $2,500 in 1970 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $16,557.60 in 2020..."

30 grand for a new or rebuilt performance car is very reasonable (not that I can afford that!)

I suspect as the Mopar B and E market has heated up to a point where the average joe is priced out, the A bodies are starting to look pretty good.

More demand and less supply equals higher dollars.

Also most of us remember when gas cost $0.25 per gallon and a house cost $65,000 for a nice one. THINGS HAVE CHANGED!

"...In other words, $2,500 in 1970 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $16,557.60 in 2020..."

30 grand for a new or rebuilt performance car is very reasonable (not that I can afford that!)

I suspect as the Mopar B and E market has heated up to a point where the average joe is priced out, the A bodies are starting to look pretty good.

Also most of us remember when gas cost $0.25 per gallon and a house cost $65,000 for a nice one. THINGS HAVE CHANGED!
Yeah things have changed alright it's called economic slavery.

The disparity seems to be between cars restored "right" and cars restored "enough". Then there's the rolling heaps full of mismatched speed parts on a low comp, high mileage stocker.

People think selling a rotting shell for cheap is somehow losing out because one "just like it" sold at mecum for $50k - but they don't realize how much labor there is to get there. Few people get rich selling classics unless they happened to get lucky.

So my quick story is someone is interested in my car and I am looking at values to determine a number. A quick look at all the hot spots including here just shivers me timbers lol.... Maybe I just don't get it at this point but I hope some of these owners don't actually think what they have is worth the asking price. There has always been some wiggle room for negotiating but when prices seem unrealistic how can they even expect a potential buyer to even entertain a conversation?

It could just be me but some of the numbers I have seen today would put someone like me within firing range of a Hellcat.....

JW

Your car is worth what ever you can get for it!!!I'm entertaining the thought of selling mine I have just over $30k in it (including what I paid for it) not even thinking I'll get close to that,but seeing what other people are asking/getting I should do well for a car that only cost $3k new:D:D:D

Your car is worth what ever you can get for it!!!I'm entertaining the thought of selling mine I have just over $30k in it (including what I paid for it) not even thinking I'll get close to that,but seeing what other people are asking/getting I should do well for a car that only cost $3k new:D:D:D
your car would work perfect for my 10's for 5000 project. Give ya 2000 and ye leave the gears in it! CASH in HAND!! :poke:

:lol:

Last edited:
I think I heard on Mecum that the average guy gets about 50% of the restoration cost on the sale.

Nope. I don't see it that way. Let's say that in 1970 you ended up with a 1970 LS6 Chevelle could be had off the lot of under 5K. That was a hot car and in those days would be compared to a Hellcat today which is what North of 60k brand new? The numbers don't lie. Market is out of control.

I agree that the B&E guys got muscled out lol and have dipped into the A Body stuff..... And that is part of the rise in cost.

JW

There is a Gateway Classic Cars by me that has a good selection of cars all ridiculous priced. I suspect they must negotiate quite a bit to sell anything. It’s fun to go look, but it must be for the very well to do, or the very uniformed.
I just bought a car from Gateway, it was already pretty reasonable but the guy I dealt with did negotiate through the owner since it’s a consignment shop and we settled at what I thought was a really fair deal. But I general I agree, people have pipe dreams as to what they think some cars are worth? I follow the auctions to see what real world guys are paying, Mecum and Russo are way more realistic than Barrett

There is a big block duster 4sp for 8K somewhere on this board...I commented on the price being pretty good amist the nitpickers. Sure its not correct, show me a big block Duster that is!

The hobby has become more of a playground for the rich and guys that are blue collar workers are priced out of this playground .The big money guys drive the prices and they get the goods.This is the deal these days just look at the numbers they throw around at the auctions and also at the new car dealerships.Unless you are willing to be a debt slave you can forget owning most of what you lust for
Agreed!!! Credit companies are benefiting more than the price gouges!! Lately some of the prices have started to flatten out for decent cars so everyday guys like me can grab something up. I tried to negotiate a deal on a Sub Lime 440 GTX for a reasonable price and the guy wouldn’t budge from his $60k ask so I settled (happily) for a $15k solid Valiant build!

Like this post, no body really knows the future but we can reflect on the past history of the car market.

See some people yet trying to buy low and turn around and sell high, putting crazy prices on things. Think this has run its course now.

Some are fishing putting a big price on their cars, if they sell fine, if not they still have the car.

I guess I think a little different, like to see when the cars go on to the next generation of good mopar people keeping it alive and cared for. Same with the Parts. Good to get a fair price, but all the buyers like to negotiate things down a bit feeling they got part of the give and take on the deal.

Can feel good that the car got into good hands, and if you are lucky can see it around again.

-
Back