offer on H-D Sportster?

-

thanson_mopar

Reaction score
well, i just looked at a 2001 Harley-Davidson Sportster.8) The bike is an 883C, Forward controls, drag bars, K&N filter, baffles taken out of the mufflers and the carb rejetted. Not a scratch on the bike, 9k origional miles. The only thing it need is a new rear tire. he told me to throw him an offer on the bike. I dont want to offer him too much or too little. What sounds like a good offer?

I remember when 883's were $3995 brand new. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=940DE3DE133DF934A25757C0A96E948260

Sportys never had brought much money. If it's truly in the condition you describe and BTW 9000 miles is a lot for a sporty, offer him three grand but pay no more $3500. They can be bought used in perfect condition for, get this lol, $3995!

Baffles removed and a K&N add no value to the bike, nor does the rejetting. Maybe a few bucks for the forward controls (odd to have that with the drag bars, it would seem very uncomfortable to me) if they're not all worn out (sloppy) and are a good brand.

hmm, thats all there worth huh? I thought they were worth more on the 4000.00 range but im glad i asked. the bike is mint, i guess i didnt think 9 thousand miles was a whole lot, even for a sportster

a sporty isn't bringing too much around this area. especially a 833. just too many around for sale.

a sporty isn't bringing too much around this area. especially a 833. just too many around for sale.

wow, here nobody can hold on to them, every good deal is sold right away. the only ones not selling are the ones marked way overprice. i guess its just the area that defines the market. If you were closer i wouldve bought your sporty in heartbeat. theres nothing around here even close to what you wanted for yours.

i hear ya.. location,location,location....lol.. let it go for $3900 there are sportys all over the place around here for sale.

Up in the Boston area new Sportsters are going to $1000 off MSRP and most all but the special addition Harleys are $2000 off MSRP.

MSRP for a basic 883 is $6695 and a 1200 is $9695 so you should be able to pick up a new 883 for $5700.

i hear ya.. location,location,location....lol.. let it go for $3900 there are sportys all over the place around here for sale.

cant believe you sold it for that! if i could find a 1200 like yours for 4600.00 around here i would jump all over it. harleys here are a little more scarce used i guess....

now is not the time to buy a bike... spring is never the time to buy a bike..

i wouldnt want a sportster anyway, they are just dirt bikes with street tires on them, i think they ride like crap.. i bought a kawasaki vulcan 800, bought it for $2800 it had 4500 miles on it, rode it for 2 years put about 4000 miles on it and sold it for $3400.. from the friends i have that own harleys, seem like they have to work on them alot also..

i believe the bike market is going to come down quite abit the way the economy is, unless the economy rebounds...

i wouldnt go any over $3400.00.. i myself dont care for harleys, i think theyre overpriced and you dont get what you pay for, i've rode many of them, from fatboys,softails, wideglides,sportsters. you can get as much bike for 1/2 the price of course theyre jap bikes, but your buying used anyways so it doesnt matter...

now is not the time to buy a bike... spring is never the time to buy a bike..

i wouldnt want a sportster anyway, they are just dirt bikes with street tires on them, i think they ride like crap.. i bought a kawasaki vulcan 800, bought it for $2800 it had 4500 miles on it, rode it for 2 years put about 4000 miles on it and sold it for $3400.. from the friends i have that own harleys, seem like they have to work on them alot also..

i believe the bike market is going to come down quite abit the way the economy is, unless the economy rebounds...

i wouldnt go any over $3400.00.. i myself dont care for harleys, i think theyre overpriced and you dont get what you pay for, i've rode many of them, from fatboys,softails, wideglides,sportsters. you can get as much bike for 1/2 the price of course theyre jap bikes, but your buying used anyways so it doesnt matter...

8)I understand where your coming from about probably finding a better deal on a honda shadow or yammaha v-star or somthing but H-D is the only bike i will buy. It has more to do with heritage i think. Im willing to put up with a little stiffer ride so that i can have have harley davidson styling (which is by far the best) and to have that lopey H-D idle. I just love it. Put a sportster next to a shadow. The honda just looks like a toy to me. Looks like plastic chrome and body lines that just dont compare to a H-D. Then if i want to resell the bike H-Ds always have better resale values because theres more demand for them, (around here anyways)

Put a sportster next to a shadow. The honda just looks like a toy to me. Looks like plastic chrome and body lines that just dont compare to a H-D. Then if i want to resell the bike H-Ds always have better resale values because theres more demand for them, (around here anyways)

when i had my shadow most people thought it was a harley..lol. and personally in the looks dept i thought the honda had it all over the sporty,especially with the wider back tire,wider and lower look to it.. the thing i wanted on the sporty was the sound and the 1200 power which it definatley had. was way faster then my 750 honda but damn that honda rode and ran so much nicer, handled way better too. and don't get fooled buy the chrom on a harley, its thin junk that you have to constantly keep up with. the plastic chrome was alot easier to take care of. in this area the honda held its value way better then the harley could even dream of. but like i said that may have alot to do with the location. there are tons of harleys and dealers here so the market is kinda flooded with sportys around here.

but i do totally understand why you want the sporty. go for it man. you'll have alot of fun on it.

34149703.jpg

26965821.jpg

32375141.jpg

8)I understand where your coming from about probably finding a better deal on a honda shadow or yammaha v-star or somthing but H-D is the only bike i will buy. It has more to do with heritage i think.

Don't kid yourself with blind manufacturer allegience. Harley's have been using japanese starters from before you were born and now, the only things really made in Milwaukee are the engine and frame. By comparison, I had a '77 Kawasaki KZ1000 that would smoke anything in it's day. Guess what, stamped on the frame was "Made in USA".

I was a motorcycle mechanic from 84 to 95 and I have rode bikes from the US, Germany, England, Italy and Japan. I remember when Harley Davidson was owned by AMF and they turned out the biggest, heaviest, slowest, leakyist, worse handling and braking shitboxes known to man. We used to call them "Hardley Doesanythings". But they did look nice, and with a lot of work, they could be made to get out of their own way, stop and turn. if you owned a machine shop, they could be made oil tight too.

Once the family bought HD back things got much better. They became maintenance free enough that you now didn't have to be a mechanic to own (use) one, but that opened the door for a bunch yuppie peckerheads that decided that HDs would make them cool. So, now you have a bunch of laywers and doctors playing dress up and pretending their bad ***. You know, stop shaving a month before Sturgis so they can look bad when they pull their bike out of the trailer and give people the finger if they're not riding a HD. Give me a freakin break. I caught up with one of these clowns and he was just about crying at the stop light theatening to sue me because he was a laywer. Punk *** jaggoff.

So, my moral of the story is ride what you like, not what your friends like. You're paying for it, HD doesn't pay you to get a tatoo of their corporate logo, why be free advertisement? Don't be a lemming or a corporate billboard.

Go ride a bunch of different bikes and find out what your comfortable with. if you still like the Sporty than by all means, get it, but don't get because you think it'll make you cool. Only you make you cool. It may sound like I don't like HDs but I actually do, but I'd build my own out of a basket case to fit my own personal riding style.

Good luck in whatever you choose and choose for the right reasons. This will be my next bike, made in Italy.

ScreenHunter_11.jpg

but that opened the door for a bunch yuppie peckerheads that decided that HDs would make them cool. So, now you have a bunch of laywers and doctors playing dress up and pretending their bad ***. You know, stop shaving a month before Sturgis so they can look bad when they pull their bike out of the trailer and give people the finger if they're not riding a HD. Give me a freakin break. I caught up with one of these clowns and he was just about crying at the stop light theatening to sue me because he was a laywer. Punk *** jaggoff.

lmao... great story

So, my moral of the story is ride what you like, not what your friends like. You're paying for it, HD doesn't pay you to get a tatoo of their corporate logo, why be free advertisement? Don't be a lemming or a corporate billboard.

well, my friends ride crotch rockets, i guess im the one who is always different. Im the one who bought a mopar when everone else bought chevelles and mustangs. I want a H-D because i like it. I kinda compare harley davidson to mopar. Its like comparing my duster to a ferrari. Its not as fast. Doesnt ride as well. doesnt handle as well. but i love it because its such a simple machine, just built to go down the road. Id take my duster over a ferrari any day. Just like how i would take a sportster over a Ducati. And i guess i wont worry about being a corporate billboard because i already am, i have "Duster" with the duster cloud tattooed on my back already, chysler didnt pay me to do that, i did it because i liked it. I had no intention on "advertising" the plymouth duster. Ive rode different brands of bike, one v-star i rode was more comfortable but didnt look as cool or sound as cool as the sporty i rode so im going to stick with sporty!

I'm a function over form kind of guy but you seem to be the opposite and that's just fine. Sounds to me like your on your way to making an intelligent, informed choice.

Ehh....the duster cloud on your back ain't so bad since you can't buy them anymore, It's not on your arm, you own one and you don't have a Duster wallet, bandana, jacket, beer mugs, Zippo, pool cues, bar stools and money clip to go with it.

BTW, don't knock a Ferrari till you've driven one. I think you'd change your mind. :)

Ehh....the duster cloud on your back ain't so bad since you can't buy them anymore, It's not on your arm, you own one and you don't have a Duster wallet, bandana, jacket, beer mugs, Zippo, pool cues, bar stools and money clip to go with it.

what are you saying? that harley doesnt adversise enough? Lol, joking, id say harley does go a little overboard with the advertising. :-D

what are you saying? that harley doesnt adversise enough? Lol, joking, id say harley does go a little overboard with the advertising. :-D

They now have a "Fashion and Accessory Consultant" at every dealership, sigh...........

Ducati is almost as bad. Here's a Ducati joke for ya:

What do call a guy on a Ducati with brand new leathers.......A Doctor! lol!

-
Back