Offgassing dash pad ??!?

-

dartman59

Reaction score
Hi folks. 1971 Dart. About seven years ago, I replaced my cracked dash pad with a quality repro item. Can’t remember exactly from whom I purchased it, but it was one of those well-known places. At about the same time, I got a new Legendary vinyl upholstery, front and back. Ever since about that time, I’ve had an annoying “fogging” of the inside of the window glass, including the front and rear windscreens. Very fine film of “dust”, almost like from cigarette smoke. I’ll windex it off, and a few days later it needs another cleaning. Well, lately, it seems to have gotten worse—especially for the front windshield glass. I need to clean it every day! I’m suspecting the dash pad, but only because I can’t think of what else could be the cause. I’m writing to see if anyone has experienced similar problems or has ideas of what this might be caused by. Thanks for any and all input and thoughts!!

What a great question! I don’t think so, but I guess it’s possible. It happens whether I’m driving it or if it’s just sitting in the driveway.

Hi folks. 1971 Dart. About seven years ago, I replaced my cracked dash pad with a quality repro item. Can’t remember exactly from whom I purchased it, but it was one of those well-known places. At about the same time, I got a new Legendary vinyl upholstery, front and back. Ever since about that time, I’ve had an annoying “fogging” of the inside of the window glass, including the front and rear windscreens. Very fine film of “dust”, almost like from cigarette smoke. I’ll windex it off, and a few days later it needs another cleaning. Well, lately, it seems to have gotten worse—especially for the front windshield glass. I need to clean it every day! I’m suspecting the dash pad, but only because I can’t think of what else could be the cause. I’m writing to see if anyone has experienced similar problems or has ideas of what this might be caused by. Thanks for any and all input and thoughts!!
I had that happen with a 2002 Hyundai that I bought new. The dealership said that was normal because of the "newness" of the interior materials. They said it would go away, which it did after a couple of years. If that's what's going on with your car it must be sealed up really well. It shouldn't be getting worse though. I gotta agree with heater core trouble.

Take a sample for chemical analysis.

You could place saran wrap over it and wait n see if it still does it to the front windshield.

Typically plastics off gas in the first few weeks. New car smell that goes away.

I live in a dry climate. Your in a more humid area.

Any chance it is mildew? Might be getting damp inside from a leak? Or as mentioned a small heater core leak can put a mist in the air.

A heater core leak will usually be kind of slimy or oily as opposed to the plastic fog. If it smears I would suspect heater core, if not you got me baffled.

If the heater core is leaking into the carpet the padding may be holding the moisture and then releasing it over time. I would be pulling the carpet enough to get your hand under it and see if the floor is damp.

Years ago I used Armor All on my vinyl dash. It made the dash look nice, but I always had outgassing on the windshield. It was not worth it.

Bypass the heater core and see if it goes away. Open the pass. side vent door- is it wet in there?

Totally off topic, but I bought a pair of Licensed Jeep seat covers once (2 years before my Jeep was totalled right before Christmas last year) had to throw em in the Sun for 2 weeks, to cook the outgassing toxins out. Evil Crap, Especially when the Package says it can cause Ya the Ball Rot Cancer....do You know the Country of Origin on Your Materials? Were they Carb 2 complying?

Well, it was a long time ago that I purchased the dash pad but I don’t think it said anything about CARB2 compliance. It never had a odor though. Interesting thought about moisture from outside—while the interior of the car does not smell musty at all, I do have a couple of small leaks around the windshield and the rear glass. I have a vinyl floor, so the windshield leak pools on top of the vinyl, and the rear leak goes into the trunk area. I’m liking that idea quite a bit. Of course, fixing those small leaks is a big deal. But I bet it would solve my problem. Thanks guys—if I ever get around to doing that, I’ll re-invigorate this thread so you’ll see the answer. Thanks, all ! !

The heater core could be leaking. I had an incident with a truck i owned back in the early 90's. I was doing a lot of windshield time & I began to feel off, not to the point of being sick, just didn't feel well. I finally went to the doctor & he scheduled blood test & discovered glycol in the test. He asked if I had been exposed to any coolant, which I hadn't to my knowledge. I had noticed a fine mist coming from the passenger side AC vent but wrote it off as just condensation. I took the truck to a reputable shop & they pressure tested the coolant system overnight. I leaked down to zero & they looked up into the heater core. Lo & behold, it had a minute pin hole & the coolant was permeating the cab as a fine mist while I was driving. The heater core was replaced & I was put on medication to help alleviate the glycol from my system. Just a heads up, because the leak "may not" be big enough to leak onto the carpet & glycol poisoning can lead to a "LOT" of health problems including organ failure.

-
Back