Offset Camshaft Keys

-

'64 Cuda

Reaction score
WHAT HAPPENED?????

I was going to buy a set of offset keys so I could degree my cam when I assemble my stroker. I thought the price was a bit high because it was somewhere between $35 & $40 for a set of 5 but that's the breaks. But now all I can find is the Mopar Performance set for almost $75!?!? Am I the only one that thinks that's a bit steep? Anybody know of a cheaper source of keys? Maybe another alternative? What do you guys usually do? Just assemble the motor, check the cam & then buy the one offset key you need to degree the cam? Can you even buy individual offset keys? I've seen Timing sets with 3 keyways on the crank sprocket. I've already got a timing set but maybe one with multiple keyways is the way to go? I've got some time & I'm open to suggestions.

yeah...MP went got crazy with the prices of some items....

buy a timing chain set with multiple keyways ....there are some with 9 different slots..

one straightup...4 retard...4 advance..

Huhges has 0* ...2 * and 4* available....the straight up is 95 cent...the advanced ones are 11 bucks each

the straightup ones are available at any part store...

Thanks. I'll check with Hughes. I thought Comp used to sell a set but must've been wrong. Maybe I'll get lucky & the cam will go in straight up. Yeah, that'll be the day....

I'm almost afraid to get a timing set with 9 keyways. With my luck I'd get so confused I'd end up putting the cam in upside down or sideways or something.

ok...look for Mr Gasket 987g or 988g

those are the part number for the hughes stuff..

I got 2 that I paid 25.00 for came home and the cam was still off so I put them up and put the cam back where it was installed at from the start.most chains are off in diff. Ways so you may get close without the offset .mike

When the things were around $35 a set I figured I'd just buy the set & have them there when I went to assemble the motor. At $75 a set I'll probably assemble it & see where it is & then see about getting what's necessary to degree it in.

I'm thinking of the one with 9 keyways myself. Offset keys are a pain themselves.

-
Back