offset shackles or into the frame-rail??

-

green67cuda

Reaction score
OK....I only HAVE to have 1/2" more clearance, so the offset hangers will get it for me....but should I go ahead and move them into the leaf springs instead? i know that will provide for more clearance in the future, but i don't forsee anything larger than the 275/50-15s on it now.
besides, it has a B-body axle, and getting more wheel offset isn't an option. so I know they'll never move farther inboard than what they currently are.
all i need to do is get rid of the wheel spacers, because they're gay.

the offset hangers cost more than the whole relo kit, then i still would have to buy rear shackles. as far as work goes, the spring seats would have to be cut and re-welded for the offset, but for the relo kit, they don't (just weld new ones inboard). but then i'm cutting the frame and welding it, so there's no HUGE difference there......

what do you all think?

i went with the spring relocation myself. but the off set hangers would be a lot easyer to do if you only need a half inch.

Go ahead and do it rite...It may take a lil longer, and be a lil mo work, but it's worth it in tha long run!!...U may want sum big rubber under ther one day, so then all ya gotta do iz move tha frame rails, and ya dun!!...REX

I put the offset hangers on my 70 340 duster. they gave a little more clearance which is what I needed and sounds like what you need too. To take advantage of the kit you put in the frame, you would also need to mini tub or tub it.
There is one issue with the offset front spring hangers that was kinda of surprise is that you have to cut a hole in the frame rail to allow for the welded on nut to fit. the nut is for the main spring bolt. One trick I discovered is to put the 4 serrated studs, for the hanger to frame mount, in after you put the hanger in place. You won't need as big of hole for the nut. I hope this isn't too confusing.
The other issue that is goofy with the mopar spring perches is the hole is much bigger than the leaf spring bolt head. I think I tack welded a piece of 3/8" tubing into the perch to compesate for this.

I chose to use the offset shackles myself... It provides enough room and clearance for 295-50-15 Dunlops on 8.5 centerlines with the 4 7/8" backspacing.

This is on a 67 fastback that I never intend to tub...

looks like i'll be using the offset shackles....I can always go into the rails later IF i ever have to.....
Now....can I disassemble one side, remove the perch, and then put the offset parts in, tack the perch, do the same for the other side and wind up with the proper pinion angle? (i'll check it anyway, but would this be easiest???)

The other thing I forgot is you may have to change your front spring bushings. The offset front hangers have a larger bolt for use with superstock type springs. I believe the later model (my 74 has a bigger front bolt) a-bodies used the larger bolt too.

I am not sure how the superstock springs are built these days, but in the past they increased rear ride height quite a few inches as well they are not even side to side. Some guys used to get them de-arched at a spring shop to bring them back to earth. If you look at pictures of the old superstock and stock eliminator cars in the 70's and 80's you will get the picture.

I tried a set back in the eighties (good old days) and the car was much to high for me, so, on advice of an old stock eliminator racer, I ended up just putting an extra half leaf in the front section of the right rear spring pack. Between that and a pinion snubber, the car ran 12.90's and hooked up real well at the strip. Actually too good as I developed a bog that I couldn't cure (due to lack of experience then). I suspect the car could have run in the mid twelves if I knew then what I know now!

Sorry to ramble on, this is starting to bring back memories. Now I am into circle track racing and have not been to the strip in 15 years, but I still have the car!

well that just drops BBs down my carb......hmmm....guess I gotta see how it does after I get some stuff done to it....then decide....
still have to swap around the gears and suretracs in for the 489 case, after I figure out what gears I want to go with, then i'll need a stall converter, headers, and some Indy heads......

guess the springs will wait til after all that

-
Back