Offset upper control arm bushings?

-

supercuda

Reaction score
This is the first I've heard of these but apparently my alignment guys says I need them on the driver's side because he cannot get the adjustment he needs. Also says if someone makes an offset ball joint it would be helpful but he doesn't know if anyone makes them. sounds as though it may have took a good drivers side hit at some time. Anyone out there have to use these?

How familiar with these "old style" suspensions is your guy?

Maybe a guy with alot of experience on the old stuff may be able to get it aligned...

I have found many of these new age guys don't know how to work on the old stuff.... If you mention a carburetor, they have a blank look on their face....

he's been around them for quite some time. My resident "mopar guru" says he does good work.

Offset bushings are a common upgrade for those that want handling, or to fix a messed up frame. My best advice is to break out your knee pads and learn to do it yourself, everybody that's a 'pro' always messes up these front ends that are so simple. You should hang out more. This is my 352nd thread on the subject. Do a search.

I've used offset UCA bushings to add more caster so I could run more modern alignment specs than the factory bushings would allow. The factory alignment specs are for bias ply's and are nowhere near where they should be for radials.

But, if your car was hit at one point I don't think I'd just throw on some offset bushings and call it good. I think the better plan would be to try and figure out what the bent/damaged parts are and replace them first, then see if you still need more to get the adjustment you need. Do you know if your suspension guy was trying to align to the stock alignment specs, or something else?

Moog K7103....go over to Mopar Action's web site for some slick instructions on how to get even more + caster out of them. Pictures explain it better than I can.

not sure if he was going by factory specs or not. not even sure if the car was hit. all I know is that he said he couldn't get enough adjustment out of it. I did install a disk brake setup from Good Stuff with new upper control arms, but that does not explain why one side is good and the other is not.

The offset bushings were first need to correct a sagging chassis. Using them to get more correct alignment for radial tires is quite common though.
If someone told me I needed a offset ball joint I would have him take a very close look at the lower arm bushings and pivot pins, and their holes in the K. I suspect he is overlooking some other fault.

not sure if he was going by factory specs or not. not even sure if the car was hit. all I know is that he said he couldn't get enough adjustment out of it. I did install a disk brake setup from Good Stuff with new upper control arms, but that does not explain why one side is good and the other is not.

New upper control arms? Are these the reproduction copies of the original arms? Or a refurbished original set?

If someone told me I needed a offset ball joint I would have him take a very close look at the lower arm bushings and pivot pins, and their holes in the K. I suspect he is overlooking some other fault.

Exactly.

I'll even raise. There's a VERY short list of people that could tell me I needed an offset ball joint that would still have my car in their shop an hour later. That is not a common solution for these cars.

Assuming the mechanic isn't completely out in left field, something isn't right. Try and find out what specs he was trying to align the car to, and what he thinks is causing the problem. Assuming you trust him, have him inspect the car for damage. Redfish listed some of the areas that normally cause problems- LCA bushings, pivot pins, and broken or worn out pivot mounts in the K member. A bent strut rod, or even improperly installed strut rod bushings can cause problems too.

Other than the brake kit, was anything else added or replaced? Has the front suspension been rebuilt at all?

New upper control arms? Are these the reproduction copies of the original arms? Or a refurbished original set?

I'm not sure on this. Went from sbp drum to bbp disk. They relocated the ball joints forward if I remember correctly.

Other than the brake kit, was anything else added or replaced? Has the front suspension been rebuilt at all?

I redid the front end with new bushings a few years back. I did not do the lower control arms. By the sounds of it I will need to replace the driver torsion bar as well. It is cranked way in compared to the passenger side and still not able to accomplish the ride height I am looking for.

I redid the front end with new bushings a few years back. I did not do the lower control arms. By the sounds of it I will need to replace the driver torsion bar as well. It is cranked way in compared to the passenger side and still not able to accomplish the ride height I am looking for.

Unless the bar is really dead, that's displaying an issue somewhere in the LCA or torsion bar crossmember. The lower bushing or through hole in the K frame is a sore spot. A rearward bent LCA would not allow enough caster.

Unless the bar is really dead, that's displaying an issue somewhere in the LCA or torsion bar crossmember. The lower bushing or through hole in the K frame is a sore spot. A rearward bent LCA would not allow enough caster.

I'm thinking this may be the issue. upon closer inspection, it appears the drivers wheel is set back compared to the passenger. Will have to make some time to take some measurements.

-
Back