OG 73 Duster

-

Old Geezzer

Reaction score
Had some time to work on the duster. While working on the speedo cable I happen to notice a big dent in the driveline .So I guess I found my vibration. Time to rob the parts car again,yet,still. A new turn signal switch and steering wheel. One more thing off the list. Done some summer cleaning and found more panels to replace.

Now off to Napa to order a reman brake booster assem.

Paul

d 014.jpg

d 012.jpg

d 013.jpg

d 007.jpg

d 016.jpg

looking like you got it underway. and now that you found the vibration may you can really tell what it will do.

geez that thing musta felt like riding a chainsaw.... love the steering wheel.

Always a pick me up to install something shiny :cool:

After almost a year we finally got a chance to get something for the Duster.
Looked at a 1999 Durango with a 5.9L engine for sale. Heard it run and made plans to pick it next weekend. The plan is to leave it EFI and get it running in the Duster, Then back out for the overhauling. The next hard choice is what to do to it.hehe

car 021.jpg

car 024.jpg

Man I always thought that it would be neat to put a 5.9 in a duster, I often think about putting one in my car. (I have a 73 project also with a /6). I would love to see what it takes to get it in and have EFI working with it too! Keep us updated please...and the more pictures the better :).

Getting it in the car will be the easy part, the hooking up the ECU will be the fun part. At least we get to pull the engine out of the Durango and get all of what we think we'll need.
Now I wonder if anyone else has done this? Can't wait for Saturday to get here.LOL

I am sure other people have done this :). I hope you can tell us what it takes to get it working...I love the idea I would just be clueless on how to make all the electrical functional. with all the o2 sensors and what not.

Got the old 360 out.How I love/hate them Headman headers. Now time to get things cleaned up for the 5.9 Magnum.Still waiting for balance weights for converter. Went to purchase a new converter but I didn't know what was one the old one.Seems to be three different weight on the Magnums. So we're waiting for a reply the the guy I picked the 5.9 from to see if I figure which one to pick.

Picture 001.jpg

Picture 003.jpg

A little more done on the Duster. Took the pass side header out and installed the bung for the 02 sensor,just hopes it clears everything

Picture 012.jpg

You are well on your way to EFI. The 5.9 is just the new 360, it has been done lotsa times. So getting the parts should be easy. the biggest thing I have heard about the EFI is where to put all the wires and ECU. Some I have seen behind the glove box. I have the 360 to go in mine but no EFI. Good luck.

Got a little more done over Xams holiday. Found a place to mount the ECU inside on the drivers side.While under the dash noticed burnt wires coming out of the bulk head connection block.Was hoping to at lease hook up and fire the 5.9 with EFI before the rewiring. OH WELL.
But did find a new set of TTI headers on CriagsList for a good price, nothing like a late Xmas present. Also got my sub-frame connectors finally.
Also got the radiator hose ran,cut the alternator bracket off between it and and the AC compressor.(Thanks to Charger 70 for the idea) The upper is a 94 Dodge PU and a slant 6 Duster top hose with a splice. The lower one is a 99 Durango with one end cut off. With getting the upper hose lower the factory fan hits.So electric one is in order.
Hopefully the weather will stay warmer over New years and we can do more on the Duster.

Picture 001.jpg

Picture 002.jpg

Picture 003.jpg

Picture 004.jpg

I finally got the subframe connectors installed today and tacked welded in place. Still got to make gusset plates and fit the back pieces better. Now I can cut out the old fuel lines and run the new and have a place to mount them.

Picture 001.jpg

Picture 002.jpg

Picture 003.jpg

-
Back