Oh dear God! 318 stroker

-
A stock car friend built 377's. .030+ 400 with a 350 crank. TRW made the thick bearings to make it work. The damn thing sounded like no other car out on the track and ran like a scalded dog!
you mean a 358, a 400 block with a 283 small journal crank, as 327 threw 400s all had the big journal cranks sept for 283 and the first 327 cranks that were small journals too! and yeah,..thay turn lotta rpm's and sound alot different! these engines built with aftermarket blocks as a stock block would be a granade!

Last edited:
400 blocks have siamesed cylinders with only steam holes for cooling. It does not work. Puffing smoke at 30,000 miles. Scrapped every one I got hold of.
yup! lotta folks tried rerouting water on them but never studied the science behind it, see a 400 here and there in street cars and a few strip cars bout it, never seen any body use one in circle track, mudd bogs or any high heat situation....

Stock block but this was in probably around 1980 when people ran what you had and made it work.
most dirt tracks round here rules spec 4 inch bore .060 over and 3.48 cranks in most super street type class's, unlimited class's gonna be a aftermarket blocks... but them big bore short stroke engines are screamers for sure!

most dirt tracks round here rules spec 4 inch bore .060 over and 3.48 cranks in most super street type class's, unlimited class's gonna be a aftermarket blocks... but them big bore short stroke engines are screamers for sure!

I had to laugh back then because a good buddy of mine got me a job doing R&R transmission work when I was laid off from the mill. Well they were all dirt track guys so I picked up one of their magazines and they were talking about drag racers. We don’t understand how these cars even start with these .750 plus lift cams and crazy duration. Lol

Like I said it towed good. Years later I went from a 23 foot motorhome to a 27 foot Coachman with a 460 ford. That thing was the most powerless piece of dog poop I’ve ever owned. It sounded like a damn vacuum sweeper. Now I have a 25 foot class A (2003) with a fuel injected big block Chevy and it tows my 26 foot enclosed trailer great. Bought it with 23000 miles on it. Best 5000.00 I’ve ever spent.
Really????? I got a 1991 F-350 crew cab and I have to keep a close eye on the speedo . It wants to run an breathe at 70mph.

Sounds like they had to cut a lot off to get it zero deck.
Well. I'd say you were correct, considering the piston normally sits ,,,, what,,, .280" maybe,,,,,. And now they're flush with the top's of the pistons.

At what weight and what state. Pa. Has some hills that would test a Billy goat.
Weight? dunno! I know I an '04 Jeep Grande Cherokee and I had to slow it down from 80mph. Illinois is the state. however . I think we're wandering off a bit. This isn't anything to do with a 318 build.

Weight? dunno! I know I an '04 Jeep Grande Cherokee and I had to slow it down from 80mph. Illinois is the state. however . I think we're wandering off a bit. This isn't anything to do with a 318 build.

Just a quick add. My motorhome was 10,500. Plus I was hauling a 24 foot enclosed trailer, race car, quad, and tools. It struggled.

Just a quick add. My motorhome was 10,500. Plus I was hauling a 24 foot enclosed trailer, race car, quad, and tools. It struggled.
With all that wind blockage, I'm not surprised. 10,500 with an additional 12k in tow. Been better of with a semi set up.

I wonder it would be game changer if build 360 with modern steel crank and stock scat I beams and custom grind cam and use 360 2.02 /1.60 as street manner like 340 stock 275HP what it be alike as this set up?

I wonder it would be game changer if build 360 with modern steel crank and stock scat I beams and custom grind cam and use 360 2.02 /1.60 as street manner like 340 stock 275HP what it be alike as this set up?
I also wanted to build a 360/5.9 with a 3" stroke to see how badass that would be screaming down the road.

Find yourself an old trans am 2.96 crank and some main bearing spacers. A 298 with a 4 inch bore.
They used to produce a 3.000" stroke crank for the 5.9/360's. Some still have a few but won't turn loose.

Find yourself an old trans am 2.96 crank and some main bearing spacers. A 298 with a 4 inch bore.
then he needs a set of TA heads with the factory off set rocker's,..she'd be a rpm screamer with right modern roller cam and induction package!!

you mean a 358, a 400 block with a 283 small journal crank, as 327 threw 400s all had the big journal cranks sept for 283 and the first 327 cranks that were small journals too! and yeah,..thay turn lotta rpm's and sound alot different! these engines built with aftermarket blocks as a stock block would be a granade!
400's had bigger main journals than later small blocks so there were 3 mains sizes. early 383 stroker 350's used a 400 crank with the mains turned down to fit the 350 block.

A 400 used a bigger main journal crank than any other small chevy. So it needed spacer bearings to use a large journal 302, 327, or 350 crank. To use a small journal 283, 302, or 327 crank it would need double spacers.
400 plus .030 block, with 350 crank, 377cu in
With 327 crank, 353 cu in
With 283/302 crank, 325 cu in.

Last edited:

These guys^ did exactly what you are describing, and 20+yrs ago, "Speed-O-Motive" offered a kit to make a "350" MoPar 318. The guys in the video had to relieve the bottom of the pistons near the pin bosses to clear the counterweights, but they used replacement pistons for a super-low compression 318 truck application. You could use a stock 360 crank and have the mains turned down, and the counterweights cut in a lathe to clear, or relieve the pin bosses like they did. The trick way to go would be get a Eagle or other aftermarket crank with 318 mains already and the 360 stroke (3.58"), and use SCAT I-beam rods and a piston by AutoTec or another custom piston, with your desired 318 bore based on a 360 compression height. AutoTec/RaceTec will let you change the bore on a shelf piston for little or no extra cost. Someone earlier posted a 4" shelf piston (SRP?) for that stroke, if your bores will allow. I like these unicorn builds, that's what makes this hobby fun, being creative and unique!!

-
Back