Oh no

-

porterracing

Reaction score
Got a pinging sound like metal vibrating on metal coming from the engine bay at idle. When I accelerate it goes away. Somebody mentioned harmonic balancer? Any ideas?

check the torque converter to flex plate bolts...

sounds like its coming from the front of the block, water pump area?

could be loose as fu** timing chain too. Balancer sounds like a stretch.

The timing chain sounds like a stretch also... LOL! :D

Get it - timing chain... stretch... :D

I got it....a week ago in the mail! My old chain was saggin' more than a teenagers pants. :cheers:

Does the crank cog wear? I didnt get one to replace.

Does the crank cog wear? I didnt get one to replace.
I did not see much on the original stock one I removed; the wear seemed to be pretty much in the links. But I got a whole set just in case.

To the OP, when you say 'pinging', do you mean that the sounds has a ring to it? Another /6 tapping areas up front are the fuel pump; the pump arm gets a bit loose and is smacked by the eccentric; I had that one recently. I could put a long screwdriver to my ear and to the pump and really hear it loudly.

And valves are a really good source of funny taps and knocks. Try an adjustment on them.

Lastly, exhaust manifold leaks makes some good noise: I had one that squeaked at idle when warming up. The exhaust condensation would get into the leak and squeak at each exhaust pulse like blowing through a blade of grass between your thumbs! I was imagining metal being scraped away at each squeak 'til we figured it out.

-
Back