OIL - Change or not to Change

-
So your talking a year and a half since last oil change..yes I would change it.. it could be/is cheap insurance!!
I totally agree with this. Somebody gave this comment the BIG RED X of disagreement. How can you disagree that changing oil is cheap insurance.

I totally agree with this. Somebody gave this comment the BIG RED X of disagreement. How can you disagree that changing oil is cheap insurance.

He disagrees with EVERYTHING I say,,what ever!!

I think you guys are changing your oil out of fear, but it isn't insurance if there is nothing wrong with the oil and it is clean?

Last edited:
I asked 3 different oil companies about this. Brad Penn, Mobil 1 and Valvoline. They all said the same thing 3 thousand miles or 1 year whichever came first.

Fred B
Of course they did. They sell oil.

I worked with a guy that bought a brand new Thunderbird. ...NEVER changed the oil or filter...would add oil when low.

Drove it 190,000 miles and sold it still running great.
I worked with a guy that bought a brand new Thunderbird. ...NEVER changed the oil or filter...would add oil when low.

Drove it 190,000 miles and sold it still running great.

My Dad was a Mechanic in the 50's and 60's. He had a rich customer who bought a new car and as an experiment he only changed the filter monthly and topped off. He drove it over 100K and was driving it when he moved away. Cars back then usually only lasted around 100K anyway.
I change my Big block car every other year because I only average 1000 mi. a year. Sorry, I am on a low budget but I don't disagree that yearly would be the way to go.

The dually I yanked back from California in 2015 had it's last oil change in 2000 IIRC...only about 2500 miles on it and it's clean as new.

Might change it next year.

For years we changed our race car oil every three weeks then used it in our street cars. So I guess I've been recycling this stuff for 50 years!

How green of me...

Last edited:
For years we changed or race car oil every three weeks then used it in our street cars. So I guess I've been recycling this stuff for 50 years!

How green of me...

LOL , back when , I had a small sponser that furnished my oil , changed it every weekend almost .
What a waste !

I got my F350 from Wrmryder...I should ask him if he remembers when he changed it.

I drove that truck back from LA starting out with 13 year old gasoline...it was over $4.00 per gallon when I was out there!

in AZ I wouldnt sweat it... Alabama , Georgia Lousiana... different story.

I last changed the oil on my 71 Duster 318V in Oct, 2017. I changed it today, it had less than 1000 miles sine the last change
Everyone I talk to tells me the oil will break down over time and needs to be changed.
The oil is sitting in the oil pan, not exposed to light or air for that matter.
If the oil will break down in the car's oil pan, then why does it not break down in the plastic bottles the auto store has on the shelves.
I imagine some of the bottles of oil they have may be much older than what was sitting in my oil pan.

Yes, I know what the rules for changing the oil are, but this seems kind of ridiculous with exactly 989 miles since the last change

The easiest way to change your oil is to switch to synthetic, then everything will start to leak (like out my rear mainseal :BangHead:) and you just add a quart every couple weeks! It changes itself. How cool is that?

Want to boil off the water combustion byproduct? Just swap in a 195* thermostat.

:rofl:

Exactly, but synthetic will leak more from an existing leak than conventional oils.

Shuffling through some Motor Trend issues I did happen to find this jewel of a solution just for a mere $2.98 . Just a blast from the past. lol

IMG_3498.JPG

The easiest way to change your oil is to switch to synthetic, then everything will start to leak (like out my rear mainseal :BangHead:) and you just add a quart every couple weeks! It changes itself. How cool is that?

Want to boil off the water combustion byproduct? Just swap in a 195* thermostat.

:rofl:
I've never had a single leaky seal with syn oil....which I run exclusively.

I've never had a single leaky seal with syn oil....which I run exclusively.
I tried synthetic oil once on the 71 Duster. I had to buy a $17 bottle of zinc to add to it . Way too expensive. I went back to the old favorite

I tried synthetic oil once on the 71 Duster. I had to buy a $17 bottle of zinc to add to it . Way too expensive. I went back to the old favorite
I dont use FT cams,,, BUT I just bought a case of Amsoil ZRod syn oil with zinc to use...How much did the oil cost and how much did the engine cost?

I dont use FT cams,,, BUT I just bought a case of Amsoil ZRod syn oil with zinc to use...How much did the oil cost and how much did the engine cost?

I think that is more expensive
than my synthetic oil and zinc bottle. But thanks for the tip

-
Back