Oil Change soon

-

HemiPar

Reaction score
Hey guys. Its time to change the oil in my 71 225. It's only been 2K miles but its real dirty. Should I use some sort of engine flush to clean out the block? Motor has just over 100K and runs great. does not smoke but is 1/2 qt low. so i was thinking of engine flush may help.
Whats your thoughts? Thanks

Engine flushes have a tendency to loosen up a lot of crud which later breaks off and gets into the oil and run thru the bearings and stuff.

Would you flush this engine...??

BMW20oil20sludge1.jpg

get it warmed up right before your oil change, pour a 1/2 qt of ATF in the crank case.

run it for 5 minutes

drain it and let it drain out.

get some cheap *** oil and run it for a day or to

drain it and then some VR1...

the middle oil change will get anything you might have broke loose out.

+1. don't flush it +1. Full hot. This will get all the crap suspended in the oil so it will come out.

Don't flush. If you break any chunks loose, it will get clogged in the pickup screen and starve the oil pump. It's better to disolve deposits gradually with a good high detergent oil than to try and remove the crud all at once.

Thanks guys. Look like I will just change with a good oil.

20% dexron in the crankcase and new filter, easy 30 minute drive, change oil and use quality filter. Dexron will not break up sludge into chunks,just dissolves it. I've used that for years and never had a problem. Learned that from an over the road truck mechanic.

-
Back