oil cooler & filter relocation idea

-

mopardude318

Reaction score
Whats up.

Just brainstorming here on what I'm gonna do. I have some Canton Racing billet pieces I'd like to use. These are kinda big to mount on the passenger side inner fender. Thinking of mounting it to the driver side cylinder head. LOL
Hasn't really been done before.

IMG_0679_zpse357e456.jpg

I made a quick bracket that bolts to the head, then the remote mount bolts to the bracket. If mounted here, I'll run the lines under the harmonic balancer on top of the k-frame. I also have an oil cooler I'd like to use that's already mounted in front of the radiator.

IMG_0680_zpse4d526a9.jpg

IMG_0685_zpsfaf7f499.jpg

IMG_0688_zps18b241c2.jpg

IMG_0686_zpsd806d1bb.jpg

Thoughts/comments are welcome. lol

WTF? I've never seen anything like that in my entire life!! Haaaa:D

You going to run the lines across the k in front? It would be nice to be able to get to the filter that easy, that's for sure.

looks like good place for oil filter.
i have p/steering so that place dont work for me:)

Definitely looks good. I'm curious to see how much effect it has on pressure. My bud with a BB Ford lost a ton and was using a HP/HV pump, although a cooler was involved also on his. Good luck with it and keep us posted.

Just be careful. Some of those adapters/units are really restrictive.

looks good sitting up there,you said the filter adaptor is made by canton?use big hose,-10 at least...

Here it is on the passenger fenderwell. Also goes to a cooler using bulkheads.

Attachments

• DSCF0092.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 448
  • DSCF0164.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 375
  • DSCF0094.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 507
I have this set up but still trying to find a good clean place to mount the filter. I did have to use 90* adapters for the block plate to avoid the TTI headers and may have to do the same for the filter plate. I am also up for suggestions.

Attachments

• Picture 1298.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 357
  • Picture 1297.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 349
  • Picture 1299.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 334
This is just my opinion and idea(s) of putting together such a system. It comes from a practical point of view and mind set. It may not be the most cost effective way of doing but sometimes you have to take cost considerations out of the picture and not worry about it.

I personally would not mount the oil filter on the head, but that is your choice. Ease of filter change can be done with a different location though on your back you may be to change the filter.

Routing the hose in the fashion you suggest is in my view impractical and lengthy. Look into a foward mounting position on the passenger side with the filter on the frame rail. Inside or outside of the engine bay. This will limit the amount of hose and travel the oil takes. This takes the hoses out of the path of road debrise and rotating engine parts shod a hose hold down breaks loose.

On the adapter on the block, try to find hose ends that can be routed away from the headers. I like a 45* bend rather than a 90* bend for a smoother and faster flow ability. Ruin the line towards the firewall up and away from the header. The line should run along the firewall to the inner fender. The same 45* bends to the oil filter adapter if need be.

Keep the lines away from the heat of the header as much as possible. I think a braided line is an excellent idea, though standard rubber would do. Secure as need and often with though to engine flex and line length when routing the hose from the engine to the firewall.

The filter could be mounted on the frame rail next to the radiator under or in place of where the charcoal canister is placed in later year cars. We all know where they reside!

On my Dakota, I ran the line rewards up and over the frame rail to mount the oil filter just under the passenger door on the outside of the frame rail. Sorry, no photos on the I-phone to share.

I like that set up
How do you plan to route the hoses over to the original location?

I was planning to go on top of the k-frame, run up & over the passenger side inner fender and down to the block. As rumblefish states, this is a rather long path the oil has to travel, and I do agree. LOL

WTF? I've never seen anything like that in my entire life!! Haaaa:D

You going to run the lines across the k in front? It would be nice to be able to get to the filter that easy, that's for sure.

yea, it's absolutely different. my father doesn't agree with my idea. LOL. he wants it on the other side.

Just be careful. Some of those adapters/units are really restrictive.

from what i've read the canton pieces are supposed to be really good. they have 1/2" pipe threads all throughout.

looks good sitting up there,you said the filter adaptor is made by canton?use big hose,-10 at least...

I will be using -10 for sure, and only double swivel 90's & 45's. none of the hard 90's.

xrp90fitting_zps50957a5a.jpg

thought about using -12, but wouldnt the 1/2" pipe threads on the remote mount, be the limiting factor?

I do appreciate all comments, and I am thinking about what you say rumblefish. After all that travel, the oil still has to go into a stacked plate style oil cooler, which also has 1/2" pipe ports. Dont know how restrictive those stacked plate oil coolers are. I do have a HV oil pump and the PSI is 70 cold and about 50 hot.

I could mount it on the other head if I moved the alternator to the drivers side somehow. LOL

another thought about the length of oil lines. mid -1980's porsches had fender mounted oil coolers which had oil lines run the length of the car. (cooler up front, rear mounted engine)

not arguing, just posting up for discussion. :)

-
Back