Oil feed at cam plate

-

Robbie2734

Lambcharger
Reaction score
I'm putting the motor together and find the old motor did not have the hollow bolt on the passenger side of the cam plate (91 360 dodge). I do have a old 318 with the hollow bolt and want to know if I should use it or put it back together the way it was?

Use the hollow bolt in the lower hole on the passenger's side. Don't forget the little metal directional portasnorkel that goes under it.

I said lower hole...I'm sorry. I think it's the upper hole. And I JUST assembled my own long block last week. Damn, I'm gettin old. It's the hole that exits in the bottom of the lifter valley.

im curious i have a late model magnum style crate motor, a friend of mine runs the same and his popped cuz of a top end oiling issue. i may just be paranoid but mine seems to be a little noisy in the valve train but has excellent oil pressure. could this bolt be an issue?

No because it doesn't see pressureized oil. It simply allows oil to drain from the lifter valley into the timing chain area. What "popped out" exactly? The bolt? They should be coated with red locktite and torqued to spec.

I said lower hole...I'm sorry. I think it's the upper hole. And I JUST assembled my own long block last week. Damn, I'm gettin old. It's the hole that exits in the bottom of the lifter valley.

I got that, when I pulled it out of the 318 I noted the position. I wasn't sure about the how the 360 oiled the chain. I have a Cloyes true roller street chain and I want to be sure it gets enough oil.

.................Dam Rob, i just assambled my 340 like u said, bottom hole is the oil galley, i will pull it apart to put it back in the top..........kim........

sorry i ment it " blew up" something to do with the cam bearings starving for oil i think

Some people even go to the trouble to drill aome small holes in the plugs in the end of the oil gallies right behind the cam gear. But I never have liked doing that. It will drop the oil pressure a little. Probably just a personal preference.....it probably doesnt hurt anything.

-
Back