oil filter adapter

-

vallianted

Reaction score
Hey all.can any 90 degree oil filter adapter fit a 65 318 Valliant or does it have to be specific for an early a body.

Now hold on a minute. There are at least two different "90 degree" adapters. One is a straight 90 degree and the other is "a little" different than a true 90, so make sure to find a picture of each because one might work a little better for you than the other.

All will fit the motor, but only ones for Early A V8 engines will keep the filter from hitting the frame rail. The one on the right in the pic below is the one you need. I will try to get the part # off mine and post it.
Pic credit goes to @65barracudaLA !

90 degree adapters - SBM.jpg

There's also a later aluminum version. It will depend on what you're going to use for exhaust. Stock cast iron? Headers? Something else?

The funny thing is I never new there was a difference between them....I ended up letting my 65 one get away from me and put an aluminum one from a fifth avenue on mine at the moment with big 51515 filter on my 340 in my 64 Valiant....and I got a couple of aluminum ones that look like most common ones (I guess like 67 and up?????).

The funny thing is I never new there was a difference between them....I ended up letting my 65 one get away from me and put an aluminum one from a fifth avenue on mine at the moment with big 51515 filter on my 340 in my 64 Valiant....and I got a couple of aluminum ones that look like most common ones (I guess like 67 and up?????).
That's interesting that you are able to get the big filter to fit. Can you get a pic of how you have the adapter clocked so it all fits? I put a 340 and 727 out of a 73 Dart Sport into a 65 Barracuda that I threw together as a beater years ago. I always liked the 51515 filters, but had to use a little short one because the way the adapter was clocked from the factory on that 340, it hit the frame rail. I didn't want to move the adapter because it wasn't leaking, so I just used a shorty filter.

It looks like I have a 51068 at this second....but I use all five sizes (51335, 51085, 51068, 51515 & 51773) on all my other stuff meaning that I have these filters here at all times (or try too) laying around and put this one cause I was out of the 51515's.

20230409_084917.jpg

This was my 68 273 Valiant Large K&N. Header photo from top. Large Motorcraft on it.

IMG_2645.jpg

IMG_2621.jpg

Factory 1968 .Don't know why the second photo didn't post

IMG_2621.jpg

@moparlee That aluminum adapter looks like it makes a full 90 degree turn too. Truth probably be told, there ain't no telling how many different ones Chrysler came up with over the years! The adapter in @Darter6 68 Valiant is probably the 2463661 that started out in the 64-66 cars. The one on the 273 that is in my wife's 69 Dart conv has that exact same one, so that makes me wonder if it might not be a 273 engine thing? The engineers that designed all that stuff are dead and gone, so we can't ask em.

"Ashes to ashes,
dust to dust.
Why'd you make so many 90 degree adapters to confuse all of us?"

:rofl:

All will fit the motor, but only ones for Early A V8 engines will keep the filter from hitting the frame rail. The one on the right in the pic below is the one you need. I will try to get the part # off mine and post it.
Pic credit goes to @65barracudaLA !

View attachment 1716072509
Well, add me to the list of people who never knew the one on the left even existed. The older I get, the more I find out how much I don't know.

-
Back