Oil filter base gasket?

-

Deceus

Reaction score
I know a gasket is needed for the 90 degree adapter but I'm putting my engine together for break-in and was wondering if I'm missing something for the oil filter base plate. Pic:

20140816_192801-jpg.205258.jpg

I stole this from FBBO but it shows what I'm talking about. Is there a gasket that goes behind that plate? It doesn't seem like it would seal well without one. Or does the filter apply enough pressure when it's installed for that to not be much of an issue? Trying to avoid a mess here so better safe than sorry.

There is a rubber O-ring that goes in the block recess, then the plate, then the double ended nut.

it has always been a flat fiber gasket about a 1/16" or so thick in all of my (LA)apps, but I don't have much experience with the Magnums.

Is it the same as the adapter gasket because I can't seem to find anything else. If someone could link it from Summit, I'd greatly appreciate it. It's a 1974 318.

Edit: this is the best I could find based on an older thread I just found

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fel-70522

Last edited:
yes, I think we're on the same page. it's flat. fibrous, or paper, I dunno maybe 4in in dia.

Unfortunately that gasket has no dimensions, applications or any sort of useful information. I'll just have to hope it works like someone suggested, I suppose.

I've seen some gasket kits come with a one piece gasket, which also covers the center boss for under the plate AND the hollow fastener/thread adapter. It has three or four "spokes" which holds the center, kinda like a steering wheel looks.

Like everyone said, you need a gasket for that
the one from your 90 degree kit should fit
(It looks like a carburetor base gasket)

-
Back