Oil filter fitting torque?

-

Denvermike

Reaction score
My FSM says nothing about installing the oil filter plate. I am using the stock parts. I believe you just use a gasket between the plate and the block and nothing else. The fitting has a 1/2" square on the inside. Any one how the torque spec for this? The engine is a 360 from 1976.
As always, THANKS,
Mike

Make sure the plate is perfectly flat as they tend to bend when taking them off an engine. Prying them off tweeks them and you'll have a leak. The factory pieces are thin and easily bent. I had a leaky base plate and I took the factory plate off and replaced it with a aluminum
billit plate with a built in o ring, way better and leak free.

Of all the engines the members here have assembled, no one knows or is willing to tell what the torque should be. Anyone?

I found this in the FSM for 69 Dodge under slant six. They didn't have a number in the small block section.

oilfiltertorque_zpsf1ea8637.jpg

Don't really know the torque figure since I always went by feel after I figured out what different torque levels felt like with different tools. Try 30 ft/lbs since I tightened rocker shaft bolts and intake bolts about the same as the filter plate...

I wonder if the torque spec is listed for the 273-340 adapter bolt somewhere? It should be similar spec.

My FSM says nothing about installing the oil filter plate. I am using the stock parts. I believe you just use a gasket between the plate and the block and nothing else. The fitting has a 1/2" square on the inside. Any one how the torque spec for this? The engine is a 360 from 1976.
As always, THANKS,
Mike

Don't have torque but, shouldn't there be two gaskets, an outter diameter one and one under the adapter where the mounting bolt goes?

20210129_174230.jpg
20210129_174230.jpg
I feel like denvermike a few years later but I did a search and here I am.

Anyone help me with this torque?
Thank you

Looks like 30 ft lbs?

I've never torqued one of those. Just snug it up really well. I always drill new holes so there are eight around the perimeter instead of four too.

-
Back