Oil Filter Frozen

-
Reaction score
Alright heres the issue, i just bought a 73 Scamp, /6 225, last time it was registered was 2000 which leads me to believe the oil hasn't been changed since then. But anyway the issue come to the fact that the oil filter seems to be frozen on the stem. I have bent / broken two strap wrenches trying to get the oil filter off, in turn crushing the can a slight bit. I then tried driving a small spike through the core of the filter and prying off the frame, which does nothing to loosen it and in fact started ripping the filter. Any other ideas on how to get this filter off would be greatly appreciated?!

Put a screwdriver through the hole you put in with a spike and just turn, it may rip but should come loose. If you put the hole down low then don't use that one drive the screwdriver through the the filter up near the top and right through the center. I have gotten several really stuck filters off using this method, the filter will rip some but then come loose.

Since it's already torn up get a pair of channel locks covering most as much of the oil filter as you can below the stem and try and turn it

I have heard of people takin the spray can of stuff to freeze it so it shrinks then prying it loose, dunno though

i would try the screw driver trick. its not in an easy spot to get to. if that doesnt work, then i would pull the the oil pump off. its only 5 or 6 bolts. then you can set it on the bench, and try to get the filter off. or just put a new pump and filter on it. good luck. im sure you will get it.

I once had this problem and I tried the screwdriver trick and it was just ripping the filter. I then took a piece of PVC that is alittle bit bigger diameter than the filter and I drilled a hole straight through it and I slipped it over the filter and I screwed it onto the filter in about 4 places and then I ran my screwdriver through the hole so the PVC acted like a brace and wheni turned the screwdriver the filter had no choice but to turn

If you can get to the base of the filter where the sides are crimped to the base you can put a chisel on it and with a couple taps it should turn.

When you finally get the filter off remember to put some oil on the gasket of the new one and only tighten 1/4 turn after the gasket contacts the base or you will be going through this again.

I've got an oil filter tool that is made with a piece of seatbelt like strap on a piece of square tubing. Looks like a homemade tool but came off the Mac or SnapOn truck ( I forget ).
It can be a little agravating to use but will crush/destroy and remove the most stubborn oil filter I've encountered.

Tack weld a large nut to the top of the oil filter. Remove with socket wrench. Remember "Hand Tighten Only".

if the car will start,let it run until it reaches normal temp.the filter should come right off..i had the same problem on a vehicle that had set for 19yrs,i got it running and let the motor get up to operating temp and was able to spin off the filter with ease..hope this helps..also,if you have put a hole in the filter,you may want to use a small propane torch to heat it a little..good luck..

I've got an oil filter tool that is made with a piece of seatbelt like strap on a piece of square tubing. Looks like a homemade tool but came off the Mac or SnapOn truck ( I forget ).
It can be a little agravating to use but will crush/destroy and remove the most stubborn oil filter I've encountered.

X2, I have one of these and have yet to find a filter it won't remove. I think mine came from Napa It was on their K-D tool rack. Put it on towards the end of the filter away from the block otherwise it will collapse the filter and squish the heck out of it (not that it matters, just easier to get off without crushing it)

oil filter wrench.jpg

hey guys sorry about the wait, got busy at work and spaced and failed to respond to you all. At first i bought an oil filter wrenches pictured below. which failed miserably, all it did was rip the grip off of the Fram oil filter on there.
resize

Then I bought a universal oil filter wrench pictured below. Which worked like a charm. Crushed the top of the can into a triangle and spun it off. It took a two foot breaker bar to break it free though, kind of ridiculous. Thanks for the input guys.
02820523000-2

Craftsman for the win once again. lol. I have one of the first oil wrenches you have. cept it has holes in it. I never use it though. Normally I do the screwdriver deal

WOW... this happened to my back in 2002.... this is how I ended up with a 318...... :) once the engine was out of the car, we still had a heck of a time getting the filter off... it was all torn up by the time it turned....

I tried every trick and tool possible.... didn't work in the car...

All oil filters have a crimp right at the base where they screw against the filter housing. You need to get a large pair of channel locks and grab the filter as close to this crimp low down on the base of the filter as possible. The crimp will act like a reenforcement. With the channel locks so low on the filter and so close to the base, it will break loose.

-
Back