Oil filter leaks

-

JamesH

Reaction score
Having trouble keeping the mopar oil filter from leaking. Using a small block, modified by Indy. Have tried three different mopar shorty filters and can't stop the oil from leaking on the headers. Thinking of using the 90 degree adapter. Anyone have any thoughts on whats causing my problem? Is there a plate between the block and filter?

yeah, there is a plate between the filter and block. It has a gasket and a plastic washer.
If you look inside of the threaded fitting that the filter is threaded on, you will see a square opening. It is 3/8 inch to fit your 3/8 ratchet extension. usually you will need a 3/8 nreaker bar to remove it. this loosens the adapter plate which has the gasket under it. the plastic washer goes in the middle (I believe) between the plate and the block also.
(although I am not 100% sure it might go in between the threaded adaptor and the plate. anyway, when you take it apart you will see where the gasket goes and the plastic washer. these gaskets and seal are commonly found in the engine rebuilding gasket kit.

Some of the attaching fittings are an outside hex too. I've seen those filter plates that were bent/warped and caused a leak. If you have a local source, get another off a core engine.

-
Back