Oil Filter location 318 69 Valiant

-

69V

Reaction score
Hey,

I am swapping a 318 into my Valiant. I have tried to do some research on what oil filter adapter I need. The 90-degree version or the plate that sticks straight out. The FSM shows the filter coming out straight for the 318, while it shows the 273 and 340 with the 90-degree adapter pointing back. Does anyone know what is needed on a 69?

Thanks

Depends on what exhaust manifolds you use, if stock 318 manifolds then you just need the straight out filter...

to make things easy: there´s no need to use the 90° Adapter. Even with headers it will work with a small Filter like WIX 51085.

agreed, also the 90 degree adapter just adds another possible oil leak to the system.
neil.

How does it add an extra oil leak? The plate still needs to seal to the block and the filter still needs to seal to the plate.

I don’t see a place for an extra leak.

What I do know for sure is that no decent header will even have clearance for short filter. And I don’t know what is worse. The short filter, the plate or both together.

Last time I looked at it, a plate and a short filter was a 12 or so PSI loss. That’s huge. And it’s not good either.

How does it add an extra oil leak? The plate still needs to seal to the block and the filter still needs to seal to the plate.

I don’t see a place for an extra leak.

What I do know for sure is that no decent header will even have clearance for short filter. And I don’t know what is worse. The short filter, the plate or both together.

Last time I looked at it, a plate and a short filter was a 12 or so PSI loss. That’s huge. And it’s not good either.
my mistake, i assumed the adapter attached to the existing filter plate. it as you pointed out replaces the plate so in fact as the adapter is a casting it's more rigid so actually less likely to leak.
re shorter filters and headers, the 3 a bodies i've fitted headers to were fine with a motorcraft efl90 filter (readily available here in the uk.
neil.

-
Back