Oil filter relocation recommendations?

-

KevinB

Reaction score
Looking for the adapter that attaches to the block to remote locate the oil filter. I've seen Trans-Dapt kits but I'm unimpressed. They look fairly cheap. Any others out there?

From what I understand, 90 degrees is the way to go out of the block

Looking for the adapter that attaches to the block to remote locate the oil filter. I've seen Trans-Dapt kits but I'm unimpressed. They look fairly cheap. Any others out there?

From what I understand, 90 degrees is the way to go out of the block
I got the cheap $45 or so summit one. I'll post some pics as soon as I get it installed (if my addled mind can remember). Gonna do it on my next oil change. :)

Canton; here is my son's installation with one that barely clears the Spitfire headers. The remote mount itself is just an inexpensive cast one with the lines going straight in and out with no angles at the adapter and just a single shallow S bend in each line.

DSCN1909.JPG

DSCN1914.JPG

DSCN1908.JPG

Last edited:
Does everyone use some sort of heat protection there?
The lines used here are cloth covered and steel/cloth reinforced lines. Being black, they are gonna absorb a lot of radiated heat without protection.

The lines used here are cloth covered and steel/cloth reinforced lines. Being black, they are gonna absorb a lot of radiated heat without protection.

Not saying your wrong about needing protection, but radiated heat doesn't effect black more than other colors. That's energy from a light source heating up black.

Regardless, I'm curious about how necessary it is

Not saying your wrong about needing protection, but radiated heat doesn't effect black more than other colors. That's energy from a light source heating up black.

Regardless, I'm curious about how necessary it is
Black absorbs infrared energy much more than lighter colors. Cooler helps durability: Hotter rubber continues the vulcanizing process faster and thus hardens and gets brittle faster. In this case, the lines are close to the exhaust and get a lot of infrared exposure.

And the oil gets more heat that way. One reason I like remote oil filters for racing is the cooling of the oil; I don't see the need to add heat back into it if I don't have to. The aluminum you see is just heavy duty duct sealing tape... cheap!

What I can't tell you is how much the reflection of infrared helps cool versus blocking the hose from open air makes it heat.....

IIRC the Canton part is 22-595; standard 3/4"-16tpi threading. Hose and fittings are from NAPA; I drilled out the straight fittings a tad for better inner diameter.

And the fittings I drilled out a tad are not the hose ends but the straight hose-coupling-to-pipe-thread adapters into the Canton piece.

The hoses use a fixed pipethread end into the filter mount, and a male hose coupling onto hose-coupling-to-pipe-thread adapters at the Canton piece. The hose ends are push-on barbed ends for this particular oil rated hose. They are HARD to push on and I have a been using these for a few decades for remote oil filter and cooler line, with nary a problem. You have to cut the hose off of them if you want to change hoses.

Thanks to FABO for leading us to this Canton part....

And the fittings I drilled out a tad are not the hose ends but the straight hose-coupling-to-pipe-thread adapters into the Canton piece.

The hoses use a fixed pipethread end into the filter mount, and a male hose coupling onto hose-coupling-to-pipe-thread adapters at the Canton piece. The hose ends are push-on barbed ends for this particular oil rated hose. They are HARD to push on and I have a been using these for a few decades for remote oil filter and cooler line, with nary a problem. You have to cut the hose off of them if you want to change hoses.

Thanks to FABO for leading us to this Canton part....

Thanks for the details!

-
Back