oil filters what do u use and why

-
Something to think about: the OEM's do all of their development and testing using their own branded filters. So the relief valve settings, case thickness, filtration needs, etc are all correct for the engines the filters go on. Aftermarket filters do not get that luxury.

The video portrays case thickness as a quality indication. Thicker cases are sometimes spec'd if oil pressure pulsations coming from the pump could lead to can fatigue. If the pump/system are fully developed to not have those micro pulsations, a thicker can is not needed and only adds cost/mass to the filter. Remember, OEM's test/develop under the worst conditions from extreme cold and hot to high and low altitudes, oil doped with water, etc, etc.

The issue we all face on these dinosaur engines we work on and love is that there is no development going on for them so we're left to our own on what filter to choose. Wix is certainly a decent brand but like rest, they cannot hit all engine applications relief valve settings per the OEM's specs. They (and the rest) have to make "1 size fits all" compromises.

Just fyi....

Last edited:
I spoke with John at Jomar at length about filters. I had a question and he took the time to educate me about filters.

Next best choice to a Jomar filter per John is Motorcraft due to a higher bypass pressure.

I’m sure some of you won’t like this, but this is what I do. The super tech 10,000 mile filters at Walmart are made in the USA. I buy a 3 pack for $10. I get these Mopar stickers in bulk for about .50 cents a piece.

IMG_7409.jpeg

IMG_7410.jpeg

IMG_7411.jpeg

As JBC... pointed out the filter is usually by-passed above 8-11 psi.
They are all adequate so buy whatever is on sale, you'll be fine.

-
Back