Oil Filters????

-

blackace

The KING of flats
Reaction score
Are all oil filters the same? A couple years ago I picked up a Fram oil filter for my Dodge Dynasty that I used to have. I bought the filter to change the oil then the trans went so I got rid of the car. I had the filter sitting around and thought I would try it on my Dart and it was a perfect fit. There both idenitcal beside the writing on it and the model numbers.

Since it was a Dodge to Dodge filter I guess the chances are pretty good that it would fit but are the threads the same on all cars? Are the internals designed differently for other makes and models? I never noticed this or thought about it until I used the oil filter I had sitting around. LOL! Been changing by own oil for quite a few years now!!! LOL! and just thought about it now!

MoPars and Fords (To a point) have the same filter dimention needs. I get greif (From the stupid) about useing a ford filter. Though it's a FRAM brand, the PH8 screw right on without problems.
The different numbers are for in car fitment/ capacity etc...

Other filter differences are metal insides or not, paper filters or not, pressure relief valves or not, filtering abilty...........

FWIW, the FRAM PH8A size filter was spec'd on lots of mopars (every big block for example), it's not a Ford filter.

I use that size filter on all my cars that physically have room for it. I fit my 2.2 turbo motors just fine, it fit my wifes 2.5l v6 Avenger, fit my slant 6.

Just so were clear that you know that I know that a PH8 is a Fram. I knew that you knew that I knew.
Whats FWIW mean?

I also opened up a book and seen a different filter spec for my '78 - 400. The PH8 scrwed on fine, but some belts hit it.

FWIW = For What It's Worth

Never saw a big block that didn't have room for the large filter but you always have to remember with mopar to never say never.

Anyway that size filter was spec'd on small blocks in pick-ups where there was room and I believe it aslo got spec'd when there was a right angle adapter.

Another FWIW, surf over to th the BOBISTHEOILGUY page http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi and you will find the FRAM oil filters are pretty much universally despised. Seems that people think the construction is inferior to everyone else's filters. I pursonally have never had an issue with FRAM filters and have no first hand knowledge of anyone having an issue but it you look at that web page the opinion is that you will destroy the engine the first time you screw on on.

I on the other hand tend to shop price and there is always something on the shelf cheaper than a FRAM so I don't use them often. Lately I have been using Motorocraft brand filters. They are made by Purolator but are not exactly the same inside (cross between the standard and premium lines from Purolator) and run about $2.50 at WalMart. Plus they seem to be considered OK by the folks on the BOBISTHEOILGUY page

Thanks. I forgot what FWIW means.

I did see that page before. I think it's weird that Fram has the opinion there. Here, (N.Y.) the Frams are about on every shelf for a fair price. $3 normally, sales cheaper.
Been useing them since I started driving @ 18, never a problem, I'm 39 now.

Back in the mid 70's I was a test tech in the engineering lab for a company that made oil coolers, tranny coolers and thermostats for the automotive industry (and heat exchangers and control valves for the aero space industry). We had a couple of large wind tunnels (one was big enough for a deisel tractor and had a chassis dyno) and some pretty large flow benches, we were always doing contract testing for companies because of our capabilities.

Lee (remember those guys?) came to us about doing some testing on their oil filters in comparison to the leading brands on the market. There motivation was to be able to say they were as good as anybody elses. We weren't capable of doing the full SAE test regime for oil filters but we did what we could. We tested every brand we could get our hands on (used the PH8A size filter) and basically the conclusions were there was no appreciable difference. That's when I stopped worrying about the brand of the filter.

-
Back