Oil leak at base of distributor..

-

Ibach73dart

Reaction score
Hello, I just re-installed my intake manifold with a new gasket and now there is an oil leak behind the intake manifold on the base of the distributor. I used the red RTV on the bottom of the cork gasket. Does this mean I have to drain the coolant and get new gasket again? What is the best way to prevent the leak. This was my first time changing the manifold and valve gasket. No leak on the valve gasket.
Thanks
Bach

Attachments

• oil.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 288
I have not used the end seals since the 70's. I clean everything REAL good, use "your choice" on the side gaskets, and get everything ready. Lay a big thick bead on front and rear and set the gasket down. Waste no time in snugging it down.

Then take your finger / towel and "smooth" the front rear beads.

Be especially careful with some aftermarket intakes. Some of them leave a "big gap" on the front, get an inspection mirror and lamp under there and check.

On yours, make sure the distributor O ring is there, and make sure it's actually not the oil sender

I have not used the end seals since the 70's. I clean everything REAL good, use "your choice" on the side gaskets, and get everything ready. Lay a big thick bead on front and rear and set the gasket down. Waste no time in snugging it down.

Then take your finger / towel and "smooth" the front rear beads.

Be especially careful with some aftermarket intakes. Some of them leave a "big gap" on the front, get an inspection mirror and lamp under there and check.

On yours, make sure the distributor O ring is there, and make sure it's actually not the oil sender

Thanks, my intake is a Weiand 8022. I know this is a dumb question, Is the oil sender next to the distributor? Its seem like the oil is coming out of there as well. No leak on the front though.

Yup you gotta start over. As posted above use an RTV bead on the end rails & wipe off excess after tightening it.

Make sure your oil sending unit is not the culprit before pulling the intake. They can make an oily mess as well.

Yes that is the oil pressure switch. From the looks of it, your car has a oil light and not an oil pressure gauge? I would replace it with a new one, clean that area real good and run the engine again to see if it still leaks.

just a tip about the oil sender they are not as well built as the ones years ago, if you have a hi volume pump the new sending unit may also leak.

Yes that is the oil pressure switch. From the looks of it, your car has a oil light and not an oil pressure gauge? I would replace it with a new one, clean that area real good and run the engine again to see if it still leaks.

I'm going to clean it and see where the leak is coming from. Is the oil sending unit easy to change?

They are easy to replace, how ever it takes a special oil sender socket to remove it correctly. Not very expensive and worth adding to your tool box. Easiest way to buy one is go to your parts store and ask for a new oil sending unit, then ask the parts man for the socket that fits it.

My .02, I have had better luck using the Ultra Black RTV on the intake, its designed to seal oil better than the red. I save the red for the header gaskets.

I went to AutoZone after work and picked up the oil pressure switch and the socket. I don't see any leak so far and thanks god I don't have to start over. Thanks for all the help guys!!!

Attachments

• oilsender.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 226
-
Back