oil leak figured out

-

1970-dart

Reaction score
so when i put the tired 318 ( just to get a v-8 in it) i knew it was a short timer and was tired and used some oil. Well it was terrible and leaked ( under load)all over the header and smoked behind the car and in it as well at times. it did not always do it and was not always that bad. I did not spend a ton of time on it as i knew i was only in there for the one summer coming out for this year.

At one time i thought it was the oil filter but my buddy was like its the oil pan gasket so i changed it with no real change in the problem but i was close to putting it up for the winter so did not mess with it much more. well now in the process of getting it ready for the new motor i been messing with it a lot the last couple weeks and saw something that i looked closer at and bingo oil leak fixed and it was simple cheap fix.

the rubber gasket on the filter was to thin and when turned on ( i only go hand tight) the gasket was totally compressing inside the groove on the filter and under load it was sometimes pissing out between the motor and filter. i went to the parts store compared them and put on a new one and bingo no more leak.

View attachment oil4.jpg

View attachment oil1.jpg

View attachment oil3.jpg

Glad you found it. If nothing more, at least you can be at rest knowing where the oil was coming from all this time!!!:cheers:

C'mon, tell us the brand of the paper thin gasket....was it the red one?

Was not a fram and don't remember but I'll look at it tomorrow.

If you want to scare yourself, gather a bunch of different brand filters and cut
them in half vertically on a bandsaw. General rule: virtually any OEM - good;
Wix or NAPA Gold (same filter) - good. Everything else, including Fram - garbage.
If there are any other good ones besides the ones I listed, I haven't seen them yet.

If you want to scare yourself, gather a bunch of different brand filters and cut
Wix or NAPA Gold (same filter) - good. Everything else, including Fram - garbage.
If there are any other good ones besides the ones I listed, I haven't seen them yet.

Napa filter i put on it as a good replacement

Purolator (also makes some Motorcraft) is good. Fram is garbage...and some Mopar filters are Frams. :(

-
Back