Oil leak under high pressure?

-

MoparSteve

Reaction score
After pulling the car out of winter storage, my Dart is now leaking oil? angry9: A lot of it... but only under high pressure. Another word, noting at idle, but when I rev the motor and get the oil pressure over 85 PSI, then it just start dripping like hell where the oil pan meets the block toward the tranny. The motor is a rebuild 440 with less then 10k miles on it. It does have a hi vol/hi press oil pump in it, a windage tray and a mod 699 pan. My guess is the rear main seal. :-( Any advise?

"That's ugly" and hurts, Have you comfirmed it's not your pan gasket? Also, sometimes a valve cover leaking from the back will run down giving you the impression it's rear seal or pan gasket leak. Just a thought.

69signetv8 said:
"That's ugly" and hurts, Have you comfirmed it's not your pan gasket? Also, sometimes a valve cover leaking from the back will run down giving you the impression it's rear seal or pan gasket leak. Just a thought.

I am pretty sure it is not the valve cover since there was no oil leaking up there. Can't comfirm the pan gasket without having to remove it, which is going to be a big pain. Wonder if I can remove the pan without removing the motor?

first of all, you never need that much pressure. I'd find a standard pressure spring for the pump (I think you can still get one at the dealer) and put it in. It'll knock you down to 65psi or so. Might help. Its easy to change too.

I can remove the pan on my 383 without bothering the motor and thats with a /6 K member, so you should be able to also.

Terry

dusterdon said:
first of all, you never need that much pressure. I'd find a standard pressure spring for the pump (I think you can still get one at the dealer) and put it in. It'll knock you down to 65psi or so. Might help. Its easy to change too.

Need it or not, I still have a leaking problem that should be fix properly. Thanks

demon seed said:
I can remove the pan on my 383 without bothering the motor and thats with a /6 K member, so you should be able to also.

Terry

Thanks Terry, I will give it a try as soon as it warms up again. There is snow on the ground right now in Canton OH... :sad:

We had snow Thursday. Now it's just 35°. yay. You have two main oil galley pipe plugs in the rear of the block. If your car is sitting motionless, there is very little pressure forcing oil out the rear main, unless you have a lot of crankcase pressure. I would try pulling the breather/PCV, and do it again several times over the course of an hour. If it slows down, its either the gasket or seal. If it keeps doing it, it's very possible its te oil galley plug(s) and/or cam plug.

moper said:
We had snow Thursday. Now it's just 35°. yay. You have two main oil galley pipe plugs in the rear of the block. If your car is sitting motionless, there is very little pressure forcing oil out the rear main, unless you have a lot of crankcase pressure. I would try pulling the breather/PCV, and do it again several times over the course of an hour. If it slows down, its either the gasket or seal. If it keeps doing it, it's very possible its te oil galley plug(s) and/or cam plug.

Good tips I will have to try this tomorrow...

-
Back