Oil leak

-

wheelman21

Mopar noob
Reaction score
I posted last week that I was getting a leak I thought was coming from either the rear main for the oil pan. After a little investigation I figured out there was too much oil in the engine. I drained it, and replaced the correct amount of oil. Within 12 hours it had dripped and within 24 hours it had lost a couple drips. The car hadn't been run since I put oil in. Any idea where this is coming from? I don't think it's coming from the filter, since it isn't wet. Could it be coming out the rear main without being run or turned over?

Without running the engine, I don't see how it could leak out the rear main unless the oil level was too high. I doubt the normal oil level is as high as the rear seal. Since yours was over-filled, that is likely the reason. If so, it could keep leaking for many days or weeks from the residual oil. I doubt the rear seal is designed to hold oil when off. It has angled grooves that push the oil back into the engine when spinning. I refer to a rubber seal, not the old graphite rope. In general, search for the highest wet spot to find the source of a leak, though flinging off pulleys or air flow can push it higher.

-
Back