Oil leak

-

dusterkid90

Reaction score
Today I finally had time to take a look at the oil leak thats been present for a month or two. I have a 318, and the oil is leaking from somewhere down by the oil filter where the trans and engine connect. Do any of you guys know what the culprit could be?

Rear Main Seal???????????????

There is oil gallery plugs back there but i doubt they would be leaking

are you running a 90* oilfilter adapter?

Yea the rear main seal would suck. Look into the area where the adapter connects is it coming from there or is the whole adapter clean?

there is not two oil filter seals on the oil filter is there. When you removed the oil filter the last time did the seal stay stuck to the motor? It does happen i have a buddy with a viper he just did it to and he took it out and oil was going everywhere luckily he shut it off in time and had it towed home so he could fix it. Now he was out revving it pretty high and stuff so that is why the oil went everywhere.

I'm pretty sure I didn't double gasket it, the new filter has been on since early summer last year and hasn't given me trouble.
I'll check the adapter after school tomorrow, haha, its almost 1:00 am here.

Is the oil coming from around the filter? If so i would just empty the oil and then remove the 90* adapter and repace all the gaskets and stuff and re install.

if its coming from more toward the back then you may have a bigger problem if it is not the oil pan

If its not leaking a ton i wouldn't loose sleep over it until it gets worse.

It really isn't leaking that much, however it is dripping right onto the passenger side header and causing alot of smoke. I'll run it again and see what I can see from underneath the car.

I would say if it is dripping on the header it not the rear seal.Sounds like valve cover or the 90.

The rear mmain leak would drip under center. On the right side it could be anything from the fuel pump to the oil pressure sender. Might be best to clean it all good and watch for the leak to show itself. Good luck

Yea if its on the header check the valve covers i had a leak that went on the header it was coming from a bad seal on the valve covers.

My step dad told me to check the valve covers, but I forget to yesterday. Thanks for all the good info guys.

or do you mean its burning oil on the upper part of the of the header? by the flange? or by the lower part of the header, by the collector?

Its leaking about two inches in front of the collector on just one of the pipes, I cant remember which one specifically though.

same spot mine was leaking, check out my thread, probably the gaskets between the block and oil filter adapter

Thats pretty interesting, that'll be helpful tonight. Did you ever find a dye that you could use, that would probably be the easiest way of finding the leak. I've gotta get goin though my teacher is back, and this isn't exactly a school approved website haha.

Thats exactly wear my oil leak is at. Mine is coming from the oil filter adapter.
Im getting pretty good at removing the header/torsion bar/ center link and tie rod..LOL

Hkeller

-
Back