oil leaking around spark plugs flat 6

-
ALL engines get a small amount of oil into the combustion chamber. Keep in mind too, that it is not all oil either. I got money says some of it is unburned fuel. Those engines, while pretty much indestructible, weren't the most efficient rascals. lol

250 spitfire and running autolites now...someone told me to run j series plugs but i dont know which is the best

So you are running the Autolite 306? Throw the "someone told you" crap out the window. Run what the book says. Do the plugs have the metal gaskets on them? Were they tightened properly?

So you are running the Autolite 306? Throw the "someone told you" crap out the window. Run what the book says. Do the plugs have the metal gaskets on them? Were they tightened properly?
yep they have the metal ring reading and looking around it says it calls for this plug as far as torqued i dont know what they need to be
Champion 592 RJ12C

If you are getting anything out of the spark plug holes then they are not sealed and you are loosing compression.

Agreed, if oil leaks out then air for sure so your losing a little compression
there. As rusty rat rod says get the right plugs and make certain they are seated correctly

Is it possible that the head is cracked and it is antifreeze you are seeing pool up? Taste it, if it's sweet it is antifreeze. Hard to image your getting enough oil out the plug hole but not fouling the plug.

Is it possible that the head is cracked and it is antifreeze you are seeing pool up? Taste it, if it's sweet it is antifreeze. Hard to image your getting enough oil out the plug hole but not fouling the plug.

No antifreeze smell more gas than anything

In Oz, antifreeze isn't sweet....it's bitter as.....but you do get a hint of sweetness for a split second......it's the law here, that Glycol has a bittering agent added to it before leaving the factory.

The Flathead 6 (aka L Head) engines : 218, 230, 251, etc all use a 14mm Thread x 3/8" Reach Spark Plug with a Gasket Seat (Tapered Seat will not work, they do not seal on a Flathead)

The Autolite 306's that were mentioned earlier are one of the correct plugs for the old Flatheads (I installed a set of them in my '48 Dodge last year).

Run Straight (SAE) 30 Weight Oil in the engine, with some Zinc additive to help protect that ancient camshaft. Also a bit of Leaded Fuel mixed in with the gas wouldn't hurt either (remember, your valves are in the block. A little more involved than a simple head swap if something goes wrong). You're dealing with an engine that was designed nearly 100 years ago (and was in production for nearly 60 years) and relied on Oil with Zinc and Leaded Fuel.

Also make sure you fill the Air Cleaner with Oil as well (you can use whatever oil floats your boat for that purpose), if its dry it aint filtering the air. :D

Here's a little bit of Trivia for those who might find it interesting, But the Chrysler Flathead engines were responsible for many things production engines have today. They were the first automotive engines to have Cam Bearings. They were also responsible for the Replaceable Oil Filter and Rubber Motor Mounts too.

Just more Chrysler ingenuity.

Yep.

One cool thing about the old flatheads is, they've got Briggs & Stratton (Sub 7.5:1) Compression, which makes them popular to Boost. They're fairly stout motors, that produce max torque right off idle. And even with todays crap gas, its not uncommon to get 24 MPG (16-18 in town) out of one at 60mph with a stock 3-Speed Manual and stock 3.90+ ratio gears.

Though the flatheads do prefer to be run at slightly lower rpms. Swapping in a 5-Speed Overdrive Manual or 4-Speed Overdrive Auto are both popular in the Antique Mopar scene and people actually make and sell adapters to install various transmissions behind a Flathead (The T5 is a popular transmission swap)

I don't know when Chrysler started rubber mounts but Buick had them by at least 1927 on all their cars.

Buick also never made a flathead. All their motors were valve in head.

The Flathead 6 (aka L Head) engines : 218, 230, 251, etc all use a 14mm Thread x 3/8" Reach Spark Plug with a Gasket Seat (Tapered Seat will not work, they do not seal on a Flathead)

The Autolite 306's that were mentioned earlier are one of the correct plugs for the old Flatheads (I installed a set of them in my '48 Dodge last year).

Run Straight (SAE) 30 Weight Oil in the engine, with some Zinc additive to help protect that ancient camshaft. Also a bit of Leaded Fuel mixed in with the gas wouldn't hurt either (remember, your valves are in the block. A little more involved than a simple head swap if something goes wrong). You're dealing with an engine that was designed nearly 100 years ago (and was in production for nearly 60 years) and relied on Oil with Zinc and Leaded Fuel.

Also make sure you fill the Air Cleaner with Oil as well (you can use whatever oil floats your boat for that purpose), if its dry it aint filtering the air. :D

Here's a little bit of Trivia for those who might find it interesting, But the Chrysler Flathead engines were responsible for many things production engines have today. They were the first automotive engines to have Cam Bearings. They were also responsible for the Replaceable Oil Filter and Rubber Motor Mounts too.
Thanks for the info

I don't know when Chrysler started rubber mounts but Buick had them by at least 1927 on all their cars.

Buick also never made a flathead. All their motors were valve in head.

1920's I believe, right around the time that Walter P Chrysler was head of Buick.

Come to think of it, without the Dodge Brothers and (later on) Walter, there would be no Ford and the automotive world may never have progressed this far. The Dodge Brothers made the engines for Henry Ford and made/supplied all of the parts for the first fords made (along with a substantial loan to ford). The history of Dodge/Chrysler is quite a good read, they were involved with and or owned a stake in/worked with Ford, Buick, Willys, and many other manufacturers.

OK I ordered some champion 592 plugs today I looked today had had autolite 295's so I guess I was running the wrong plugs

-
Back