Oil leaks

-

72moparnut

Reaction score
hi guys this will be the 3rd time trying to fix this oil leak. First thought it was just gasket failure. No replaced gaskets and crank seal. Also decided to replace timing cover as the one I used was 40 plus years old anyway here we again leaking worse than ever. Any help would be appreciated

They all leak in some fashion. You should see the leaky million dollar vintage race cars I’m seeing this week in Monterey. **** even my brand new chainsaw leaks.... lol

Last edited:
Where is it leaking from front or rear? I'm assuming front since you mentioned the timing cover. Did you use sealer or just a gasket?

Well I caint stand oil leaks. I'm right close to pullin Vixen's motor again to fix that very thing.

Well I caint stand oil leaks. I'm right close to pullin Vixen's motor again to fix that very thing.
I can't stand leaks period and my dart seems to leak everything everywhere! I replaced everything in the cowl / firewall area and yet still found a puddle of water in the new Floorpan! I don't understand where it comes from. I also have a leaking heater core that I bypassed, leaking trans , leaky brakes etc. I did manage to fix all the coolant leaks for now. Still have a leak around the sending unit that leaks if i fill the tank full. Lol literally every thing leaks :BangHead:

I can't stand leaks period and my dart seems to leak everything everywhere! I replaced everything in the cowl / firewall area and yet still found a puddle of water in the new Floorpan! I don't understand where it comes from. I also have a leaking heater core that I bypassed, leaking trans , leaky brakes etc. I did manage to fix all the coolant leaks for now. Still have a leak around the sending unit that leaks if i fill the tank full. Lol literally every thing leaks :BangHead:

Did you install a new wiper pivot seal and gasket kit?

Did you install a new wiper pivot seal and gasket kit?
Yep! All the gaskets and seals and pivots are new i even took out the heater box and vents and cleaned out the cowl and replaced the seals around the vents i even replaced all the linkage bushings while i was in there, those are a pita!! I can't figure out where its coming from

Yep! All the gaskets and seals and pivots are new i even took out the heater box and vents and cleaned out the cowl and replaced the seals around the vents i even replaced all the linkage bushings while i was in there, those are a pita!! I can't figure out where its coming from

Mine does it if it's outside and rains real hard, but I know where it's coming from. The door seals are bad. The Darts can be even worse about that since there's no frame around their doors. Take a piece of printing paper and fold it in fourths and close the door on it all along the top edge where the window meets the seal at the top and make sure it pinches the paper everywhere. If you get a spot where there's no resistance, there's a leak.

Mine does it if it's outside and rains real hard, but I know where it's coming from. The door seals are bad. The Darts can be even worse about that since there's no frame around their doors. Take a piece of printing paper and fold it in fourths and close the door on it all along the top edge where the window meets the seal at the top and make sure it pinches the paper everywhere. If you get a spot where there's no resistance, there's a leak.
I bet that is where its at! Because I know mine are bad there is chunks missing around the glass. Wish I had a garage to keep it inside during the rain lol

I bet that is where its at! Because I know mine are bad there is chunks missing around the glass. Wish I had a garage to keep it inside during the rain lol

Easy to verify. Get a tarp and cover only the top of the windows on both sides where the glass meets the body. If it's dry after rain, there you go.

Easy to verify. Get a tarp and cover only the top of the windows on both sides where the glass meets the body. If it's dry after rain, there you go.
I plan on getting a nice car cover someday lol but I will most definitely try that just to eliminate and cowl leaks

Mine is leaking from front of engine have replaced timing cover gaskets and front seal 2 times once with rev and once without now leaks worse than ever. Have new gasket and front seal to replace again just want to get it right it is a 440 bb mildly built street car running breathers on valve covers hope this info helps

Are You saying You're unable to tell if it is coming out of the seal or not? Obvious questions are;
1- any defects on damper hub, nicks gouges deep wear groove etc.? May need dressed and a repair sleeve, or replaced.
2- is the cover free of distortion? Tap bolt holes with a small ball peen to make them slightly proud on the surface, make sure the seal well is square to the block, place cover flat on good surface the same and use a straight edge to see if the cover is distorted from hammering seals in and out. Also make sure to dig any old material clean from around pins. Slinger in place and correct? 3- breathers in valve covers, with std. PCV? Or?
Other than oil pan deformation, with good parts and assy., there shouldn't be an issue there. Yes, RTV in the bottom block-pan-cover intersection.

WELCOME TO THE CLUB!
i've had the most luck with the black RTV silicone and following the label directions to the letter.

good luck

Is it water? could be windshield gasket there are sections in the channel that need sealant when it is installed.

It doesn’t appear to be from seal rather the corners of timing cover where it meets oil pan. Did notice when installing timing cover the dolls were really tight in fact had I had to persuade it with light taps of a hammer and roll pin that just fit over doll pins

It doesn’t appear to be from seal rather the corners of timing cover where it meets oil pan. Did notice when installing timing cover the dolls were really tight in fact had I had to persuade it with light taps of a hammer and roll pin that just fit over doll pins
Ok, are You loosening the oil pan at all when installing? Those dowel pins can be snug, are You using a "partial" pan gasket, or re-installing over the existing one? As noted black RTV is effective, and can be used in lieu of a gasket, I just hate cleaning/removing it if the cover has to come back off.

So by the FOURTEENTH POST we finally get verification of WHAT it is. Yall have fun!

Is it a briggs and stratton? I mean really.
You are here: Home / Resources / The Parts Mans Lament
DECEMBER 18, 2019 BY FLOYD JERKINS2 COMMENTS

The Parts Mans Lament
DSC_0754.jpg

I work behind the counter in a auto parts store, sometimes I’m called a genius, then again, I’m called much more.

I claim I’m no mechanic, yet when a job gets sick some mechanic comes to ask me, “What makes the darn thing tick?

MVC-904F-300x225.jpg
I’m supposed to know the numbers of bolts and nuts and gears for every car and truck ever made in more than 40 years.

I’m an engineer, machinist, and what not, Oh My Lord, I’m supposed to be Thomas Edison combined with Henry Ford.

But life would be a pleasure and I’d grin from ear to ear if the customers would just tell me the Model, Make and Year.

I’m not loosing oil pan bolts and only using partial gasket for front of oil pan and timing cover should I loosen the pan bolts at least the front ones?

So by the FOURTEENTH POST we finally get verification of WHAT it is. Yall have fun
That's because we are all so helpfull we diagnose the problem faster than the OP can answer the question in post 2!

I’m not loosing oil pan bolts and only using partial gasket for front of oil pan and timing cover should I loosen the pan bolts at least the front ones?
If the pan gasket is fresh enough, I'd loosen them all the way back to the back row, leaving said row snug. If You just want to black RTV it, that won't be an issue, leave the pan tight. If the pan gasket is old/cemented, leave it be and use RTV, or replace it as well......not fun in-car....

Oil pan gasket is fairly new less than 500 miles just changed oil royal purple not cheap think I’ll just use the rtv and hope for the best also thinking of running pvc what’s the thoughts on that

-
Back