Oil level for 360ci with center sump 0il pan?

-

T67POWER

Reaction score
I have been giving my 360 engine 5 quarts of oil at every oil change and have always had a reading on the dip stick above the full mark.
So when i changed my oil yesterday i filled the filter(ph43),with half a quart of oil.
I then put in 3 1/2 quarts and started the engine.
With only 4 quarts in the engine the dip stick is right on the full mark.

If i install one more quart, it will say over full, but i know that it's not.

HAS ANYBODY ELSE HAD THIS HAPPEN ON THEIR 360 ENGINE??????

I was measuring it because i was thinking of running the engine one quart low for more horse power.
Without a windage tray installed,it is proven to increase power with a stock pan.
Anyways .........................thanks for replying.:burnout:

Dip stick could be off. The pan should have 4 quarts and the filter approx. 1 quart. You could also make a move to a longer filter. Running a quart low just for the few HP gain without a windage tray is not a wise move.

Rumble.......
The filter is a PH43 size and not the PH8A{larger size}
The PH8A would give me a little more oil in the system, but it gets a little to close to the header.
I have four quarts in it now and when it's hot, measures on the full line.
When i put the 5th quart in, it brings the level up on the dip stick to just past the word full.

I have never ran the car low on oil and most likely never will.
I know it's a five quart pan and when five quarts go in ,what ever the dip stick reads is where the new full mark is.

Do you run a center sump pan on your engine??????

I had that problem once. The dipstick was off. I would never run an engine low on oil to gain hp. I like bearings much too much to even think of that, LOL... I have to keep mine completely full or the oil pressure will drop to zero on a hard launch. Stock pan with no baffles and drag radials will do that sometimes.

-
Back