Oil on valley pan

-

sbh126

Reaction score
Well I finally broke in my 440 today with minimal problems. At least nothing major. First question. Some how I am getting oil on top of the valley pan towards the back. After running the motor for 20 minutes I had a nice little puddle and it was dripping onto my headers. Any ideas on where this might be coming from? And no its not from the oil pressure fitting thats back there. Already checked that one. Second queestion. After running my engine for the 20 minute break in I turned the key off and the motor kept on sputtering for about ten seconds until I put it in gear and killed the motor. Does this mean the motor is detonating? I had it set at 38 degrees at 2000-2500 rpms. It got up to 200 degrees and stayed there. I had half a tank of 93 octane with a bottle of octane booster added. I'm running stealth aluminum heads, kb237 pistons and have 10.7 to 1 compression. I was told I'd be able to run on 93 octane with my combo. was this wrong?

Do you have a pcv and at least 1 breather?I had a 440 that kept cracking the valley pan due to no breather on it,it would puddle the same way.Also i would say it sounds like you have way to much timing,try backing it down and see if it keeps running after the key is turned off.

It is "Dieseling" from too much timing and heat lots of motors do this when overheated with rich fuel mixtures hence the term "Dieseling", and do make sure you have a breather as Challengermike said.

I do have breathers on the valve covers. Could you explain to me how that could cause oil to puddle on the valley pan?
So I need to retard the timing some?

Check and make sure it's not coming from the valve cover and running down onto the valley pan. What RPM are you idling at?

I also cracked my valley pan once too.It would puddle up and I would clean it up then it would puddle up again.I took the intake off and it split dead center of the valley pan.I had Mopar Performance air breathers and they were not opened up enough.Too much crankcase pressure and it split open the thin valley pan.So I took off the air breathers looked at the bottom of them and they were hardly open from the factory.I took a screw driver pushed the tab inside all the way open and never had another issue again.

Check and make sure it's not coming from the valve cover and running down onto the valley pan. What RPM are you idling at?

ditto RPM has more to do with dieseling, but if it has too much timing it will do it as well just try idling it down a touch to see if it will still diesel (run with key off)

Unless you have a problem with the intake sealing to the heads,it could cause both of your problems,vac leak causing the dieseling and the oil leak.

I agree with previous advice, check curb idle RPM- under 1000RPM. Also check initial timing, 10-12 degrees for stock engine.

-
Back