Oil or antifreeze blow by

-

gtxdude

Reaction score
Anyone else have this problem with small blocks? Ten years or so I had a 360 rebuilt and had some sort of oil blow by down by the fuel pump or antifreeze from timing cover bolt down there. Had a 318 rebuilt last fall, got a few cruises in before winter, same thing. Looks like it's coming out of fuel pump bolts or timing cover bolt that taps into coolant system. The fan spreads it around and it covers the lower block and inner fender. I've tried teflon tape on bolts and new gaskets, seems like I slow it down but never get rid of it. Is it just me? :banghead:

Sounds like someone didn't put sealant on the timing cover bolts. I have been made fun on this very forum, but I have learned through the years to put RTV or #2 on every single exterior bolt on a block. It keeps rust from occurring and seals them too. On the long bolts that go through the timing cover, not only do I coat the threads, but also the entire bolt shaft so that it will not corrode to the timing cover.

People make fun of me all they want, but I promise you one thing. I can take my engines apart and never break a bolt. I never will understand why people assemble engines with bolt holes into the water jacket and not put sealant on the bolts. Stupidity I guess. I guess through my explanation, you see what will likely need to be done to fix your problem.

He said he had it built. Paid someone likely. They took his money and gave him an inferior product. They should have known.

Thanks guys, that's what you get when you have a cheby guy rebuild your motor. I was trying to keep it local. I'll pull long bolts out and goop em up. I should have known better!!!

It doesn't take much. A thin coat on the threads and the shafts of the long bolts. There is also one you cannot get to without removing the water pump. It is on the passanger's side. But if it's not leaking there, I would not mess with it.

-
Back